• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

R>1

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

“Prof Tom Wenseleers, at the University of Leuven in Belgium, who worked closely with UK scientists on the spread of the Kent variant, also said the Indian variant could be 60% more transmissible than the current most widespread one.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...inister-admits

New lockdown guaranteed - but first Boris will pile bodies in the tens of thousands, again.

Comment

Our dominant is already far more transmissible than Covid Classic and this hasn't impacted the recovery. Transmissibility in itself is not such a big deal, especially when it's already so very infectious to begin with.

I think we can probably safely assume a big increase among the young as things open up from next week, the 18-30 range who are not offered vaccines and are the least cautious anyway. Maybe we just let that burn itself out?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Transmissibility in itself is not such a big deal, especially when it's already so very infectious to begin with.
        Transmissibility in itself is a BIG ******* DEAL as it directly affects R number.

If that variant from India is indeed 60% more transmissible than Kent variant _and_ Vauxhall Zeneca not as effective then we are ****ed, again.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

Transmissibility in itself is a BIG ******* DEAL as it directly affects R number.

If that variant from India is indeed 60% more transmissible than Kent variant _and_ Vauxhall Zeneca not as effective then we are ****ed, again.
          Beyond a certain point, increased transmissibility isn't going to make a big difference. You can pretty much assume everyone you have close contact with is going to catch it.

Now lack of vaccine efficacy IS a big deal. But that doesn't seem to be proven.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Beyond a certain point, increased transmissibility isn't going to make a big difference.
            Beyond point of "we are now totally ****ed" it sure won't make a big difference, but it enough to shift beyond that point? That's what makes the difference: 60% on top of Kent's variant might just do it.

Comment

It's only spreading in low vitamin D areas with below average take up of the vaccine where they don't bother their arse staying apart.

Keep to pubs and you will be quite safe.

Comment

“According to the latest scientific modelling by government advisers, a variant that is as transmissible as the Kent variant, and which has some vaccine resistance, “could easily lead to another peak of double or treble the size of that seen in January 2021 if no interventions were taken”. “

https://www.ft.com/content/a6730381-...9-ef158e48e058

But don’t you worry - CUK’s own Dumb and Dumber say it’s ok
                Last edited by AtW; 13 May 2021, 20:23.

Comment

Beyond a certain point, increased transmissibility isn't going to make a big difference. You can pretty much assume everyone you have close contact with is going to catch it.

Now lack of vaccine efficacy IS a big deal. But that doesn't seem to be proven.
                  How transmissible do you think it is?... Only like half of people (depends which study you look at) who live with someone with an active symptomatic infection... get infected.

So I wouldn't just assume everyone is going to get infected.. those are the people with the closest contact possible and still only 50% are getting infected.

They have no idea if something is actually 60% more transmissible anyway, it's based off a ton of assumptions and it's a garbage number. It might not even be more transmissible at all, just might be dominant strain at the same time infections increase due to other reasons. It's impossible to measure accurately since none of this analysis is being done in a controlled environment and rules and behaviors are constantly changing.

Comment

Wow, 3 early winning candidates for CUK COTY 2021

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                      It's rising here, just in certain groups, who have all taken today and tomorrow off, to not have massive family parties.

Click image for larger version  Name:	?u=https%3A%2F%2Funiversoxmen.com.br%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2020%2F12%2Fwandavision-trailer-agatha-harkness.jpg Views:	0 Size:	75.4 KB ID:	4162342

I expect a local lockdown in 10 days.
                      No different to 25th and 26th December 2020 then...

(Apart from the fact that I've got my jabs, so I'm alright Jack.)
                      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                      X