• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

R>1

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

So young people still spreading it and old people having to deal with the fall out then.
    Well most teens and young adults live with their parents while they are in education.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Just scanning the papers today and I can't believe for one minute we aren't going to be back in measures by the end of the month.
    Yeah, but that would not be Honest Boris's fault - by that point he will have delivered on his promise to let people have their Freedom Day, it's not his fault people won't act as if there is a deadly pandemic still going on, is it?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Just scanning the papers today and I can't believe for one minute we aren't going to be back in measures by the end of the month.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by mattster View Post

You think it really bothers quite a high percentage of people? What sort of numbers are you talking about?
    In my own - admittedly rather limited - circle of acquaintances, everyone I have spoken to wants to continue with the mask mandate.
    Very hard to put a number on it and I'm not sure I'd say "really bothers" but I think there's quite a large sentiment around "Freedom Day" - I've seen local pubs encouraging everyone to hug and snog each other on Facebook for example. The way Boris did the press conference was very much "it's all over" and while there has been clarification since, I think many will only have heard the former.
    Among my peers, I would expect similar to yourself but among the working classes I think a lot of people will not be expecting to wear masks and might need quite a lot of persuading. When I've been around pubs, builders merchants and similar throughout the pandemic I've heard people consistently say they don't believe in masks, it's all a overreaction, etc. Much more prevalent than you might imagine.
    I also know a few conservatives - JRM-types - who will refuse to wear them if they possibly can for reasons of "freedom".
    Last edited by d000hg; 16 July 2021, 13:42.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    “Data from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) shows that hospital admissions with Covid-19 increased by 61 per cent in the week ending 11 July, with admission rates being highest in older age groups.

However, positive case rates remain highest among young people, between those in school year 12 or and aged 24.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-h...ations-deaths/
    So young people still spreading it and old people having to deal with the fall out then.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    “Data from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) shows that hospital admissions with Covid-19 increased by 61 per cent in the week ending 11 July, with admission rates being highest in older age groups.

However, positive case rates remain highest among young people, between those in school year 12 or and aged 24.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-h...ations-deaths/

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    England’s Covid unlocking is threat to world, say 1,200 scientists

International experts say ‘unethical experiment’ could allow vaccine-resistant variants to develop

The letter said: “We believe the government is embarking on a dangerous and unethical experiment, and we call on it to pause plans to abandon mitigations on July 19, 2021.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ld-experts-say

Leave a comment:

• mattster
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I don't think that's true. Ir probably varies enormously depending on your local demographic so we might all see very varied patterns I suppose.
    You think it really bothers quite a high percentage of people? What sort of numbers are you talking about?
    In my own - admittedly rather limited - circle of acquaintances, everyone I have spoken to wants to continue with the mask mandate.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by mattster View Post

The mask issue is such a stupid fault line to draw. Outside of, in my view, quite a small number of rather voiciferous (and over represented in the media) opponents, most people simply do not care about having to wear a mask in shops or on public transport.
    I don't think that's true. Ir probably varies enormously depending on your local demographic so we might all see very varied patterns I suppose.

Leave a comment:

• mattster
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    It's interesting when you look at the BBC coverage on the masks issue, I've read "we surveyed people in ..." stories where every single person says they want masks retained in law. Selective reporting in aid of a viewpoint they want to push. Not saying they shouldn't but it is interesting, or at least inneresting.
    The mask issue is such a stupid fault line to draw. Outside of, in my view, quite a small number of rather voiciferous (and over represented in the media) opponents, most people simply do not care about having to wear a mask in shops or on public transport.

If it was down to me, I would retain the mask mandate for all businesses that were deemed essential enough to stay open during lockdown, on the basis that these places are important enough that people need to use them, even if they would rather not do so amongst the great unmasked. Let pubs, nightclubs etc do their own thing - nervous people can stay away. I would also let non-essential businesses decide on whether or not they want to mandate masks, and have this backed up by the existing law.

The bottom line is that masks are one of the most effective and low cost interventions that we have, and the current confusion around them post freedom day is going to result in a lot of problems - not least all sorts of conflicts in "mask recommended" areas with people refusing to comply.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X