• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

#StarmerOut

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mattster View Post

I agree with this. Starmer is kind of boring, but obviously competent (apparently did a very good job at the CPS), and I think fairly obviously a decent chap as well. Boring, decent competence is in short supply in the other party, and by the time a GE comes round the populace might just be ready for it (see also, the US). At the moment the government is probably riding fairly high on the end of Covid, a well executed vaccine rollout (which has more or less obscured any earlier failings), and the inevitable bounce back boom that is now underway. Give it a few years. Plus, there is literally no one else better in the parliamentary Labour party.
    Spot on I reckon.
    Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

I agree with this. Starmer is kind of boring, but obviously competent (apparently did a very good job at the CPS), and I think fairly obviously a decent chap as well. Boring, decent competence is in short supply in the other party, and by the time a GE comes round the populace might just be ready for it (see also, the US). At the moment the government is probably riding fairly high on the end of Covid, a well executed vaccine rollout (which has more or less obscured any earlier failings), and the inevitable bounce back boom that is now underway. Give it a few years. Plus, there is literally no one else better in the parliamentary Labour party.
      He stopped the Anti Semitism issues pretty quickly.

He is as you say credible PM compared to his fellow Labour members, the labour party needs a lot of work!
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

He stopped the Anti Semitism issues pretty quickly.

He is as you say credible PM compared to his fellow Labour members, the labour party needs a lot of work!
        They need to lose their Islington woke image and the notion that the UK has a class divide with bosses and workers. We're now a gig society with the former working class being aspirational business men up and coming from a trades background. Putting a radical remoaner has been up for Hartlepool was never going to work and their similar disdain for the common man elsewhere is what's leading them toward the oblivion that the Liberals are currently enjoying

Comment

I think the woke, SJW image of the left is more a triumph of right wing PR than any particular reflection of the Labour party. I'm certainly not denying that there is some craziness on the left, but the truth is that I hear an awful lot more about it from people on the right, and the anti-woke brigade (Piers Morgan) than I do from the wokesters themselves. There's crazies on both sides of the political spectrum of course, and always has been. At least with the woke left you could argue that much of it is well meant, if a little bonkers - you can't say that with the right.

Comment

I think the woke, SJW image of the left is more a triumph of right wing PR than any particular reflection of the Labour party. I'm certainly not denying that there is some craziness on the left, but the truth is that I hear an awful lot more about it from people on the right, and the anti-woke brigade (Piers Morgan) than I do from the wokesters themselves. There's crazies on both sides of the political spectrum of course, and always has been. At least with the woke left you could argue that much of it is well meant, if a little bonkers - you can't say that with the right.
            I dunno. Have you listened to the other Piers, Corbyn's brother, or read some of the frankly terrifying views of the keyboard warriors who just hate Tories - the ones from the late 1900s, not the current crew that is - and who think Labour is about the working class.

Glastonbury is just up the road from me. A fair number of them need to be sectioned!
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by tazdevil View Post
              disdain for the common man
              Disdain and lazy pigeonholing for anyone who doesn't fit their narrow worldview seems to be the standard MO for a lot of Labour supporters, certainly if the Guardian comments section is anything to go by. It's bizarre because they're supposed to be the party of equality and not judging others but they're the worst of the bunch, in my experience. At least the Tories manage to disguise their disdain much of the time (apart from Rees-Mogg, obvs).

And I speak as someone whose own views are quite close to Labour's claimed values. Sadly, in practice the party itself seems intent on eating itself from within and making enemies of not only its traditional core but others who might align with its values. Getting rid of Keir Starmer would just be consigning themselves to another 5-10 years in the wilderness like some mad old hermit, shouting at people as they pass by but being roundly ignored as a nutter.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	eddie-izzard-is-to-stand-for-membership-of-labours-executive-committee_1651893.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	4161488

Comment

Originally posted by Snooky View Post
                  Disdain and lazy pigeonholing for anyone who doesn't fit their narrow worldview seems to be the standard MO for a lot of Labour supporters, certainly if the Guardian comments section is anything to go by. It's bizarre because they're supposed to be the party of equality and not judging others but they're the worst of the bunch, in my experience. At least the Tories manage to disguise their disdain much of the time (apart from Rees-Mogg, obvs).

And I speak as someone whose own views are quite close to Labour's claimed values. Sadly, in practice the party itself seems intent on eating itself from within and making enemies of not only its traditional core but others who might align with its values. Getting rid of Keir Starmer would just be consigning themselves to another 5-10 years in the wilderness like some mad old hermit, shouting at people as they pass by but being roundly ignored as a nutter.
                  The Guardian comments section is amusing.

If sufficient numbers of commenters logically pull apart a comment piece the piece gets closed for new comments. I think the quickest time it happened was 30 minutes.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by velcro View Post
                    I've got nothing against Starmer, but he needs to recognise the apathy he's been greeted with. Time to find a new leader...
                    Count Binface might be free at the moment?
                    They need somebody with a bit of a character!

Some blonde twat from Eton should do

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

They need somebody with a bit of a character!

Some blonde twat from Eton should do
                      Nah they need a Northern woman who is younger than Boris Johnson.

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X