• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Horizon IT Scandal: Postmasters await justice today

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see that the postmasters are suing the PO.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/p...ndal-c690n5v0p

The Post Office, which has an 11,000-strong network of postal offices, fell to the annual loss after settling some litigation with postmasters, who operate local post offices, and setting aside £153 million so that current and former postmasters who have not yet done so can sue the organisation.
    and it looks like compensation will increase substantially.

https://inews.co.uk/news/post-office...-system-969681

The barrister who led that civil claim called today’s judgment an “incredible victory” that could pave the way for more substantial compensation.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 23 April 2021, 22:31.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Are there any details out there as to how the Horizon system managed to make these mistakes and what the double entries were that led to these people needing to pay money over that they hadn’t actually stolen?

Comment

Originally posted by Abbot View Post
        Are there any details out there as to how the Horizon system managed to make these mistakes and what the double entries were that led to these people needing to pay money over that they hadn’t actually stolen?
        There's some info here:

https://www.computerweekly.com/news/...Horizon-errors

I think a lot of the issues that Second Sight uncovered were kept under wraps so it's unlikely we'll get to the real technical details.

Comment

Sounds like the whole system was riddled with bugs.

https://www.private-eye.co.uk/pictur...n-the-post.pdf

By 2006 at least 15 separate bugs had been found, with names such as “network banking bug”, “data tree build failure discrepancies” and “phantom transactions”
          One problem was the ATMs not updating the system correctly so it appeared as if the Postmaster had embezzled the cash.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by mattster View Post

I've worked on many systems over the last nearly 30 years, big and small. There's not one for which I would be able to take the stand and swear, under oath, that it couldn't have made an error. The fact anyone felt able to do that, for any system of any complexity at all, is a red flag right there.
            As soon as I read about the first case, and the Fujitsu drone said it wasn't possible it was an IT failure, I knew the whole thing stank.

It is absolutely and provably impossible to demonstrate any computer system is error free. Gödel's Halting Problem.

Originally posted by Abbot View Post
            Not all transactions recorded, meaning the till totals did not match what the computer said, leaving the sub postmasters iiable for the shortfall.

It's also worth checking out the legal framework behind the prosecution of these victims. The PO has its own investigation unit, among other things. Almost literally a law unto themselves.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Paula Vennells has resigned form the boards of Morrisons, Dunelm and is stopping (for the moment at least) being a priest
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Well, she should be stopped from being on the boards of companies in future, certainly.
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  Paula Vennells has resigned form the boards of Morrisons, Dunelm and is stopping (for the moment at least) being a priest
                  As the job of a priest is to tell lies and fairy tales, I'm not surprised anymore this happened

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

It's also worth checking out the legal framework behind the prosecution of these victims. The PO has its own investigation unit, among other things. Almost literally a law unto themselves.
                    Yes its changed from a government run organisation with suitable powers and now its independent but kept the powers. A bit like Customs & Excise gifting the revenue the powers to break your door down at 3am.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Ms Vennells said: "I am truly sorry for the suffering caused to the 39 sub-postmasters as a result of their convictions which were overturned last week."

Erm, there's a few more than that though, love. They might not have had the cash to fund the case, for some reason, such as paying back bogus fraud money

Comment

Working...
                      X