• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Nurses are well paid for the job...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nurses are well paid for the job...

... but the minister fails to understand why do they go off elsewhere.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56260038

A health minister has defended the proposed 1% pay rise for NHS staff in England, saying "nurses are well-paid for the job".

Lord Bethell praised the "heroics" of health workers during the pandemic, but said they had secure jobs that many people would "envy".

He was responding to opposition calls for the government to rethink its "miserly" 1% pay offer.

Labour peer Lord McNicol said it was a "kick in the teeth" for NHS workers.

Lib Dem peer Lord Willis said it amounted to a pay cut - and the government should instead give staff a "substantial bonus" before negotiating a "fair" pay deal.

Lord Bethell insisted it was not a pay cut, but added: "There are millions of people out of work out of the back of this pandemic.

"There are lots of people who have had an extremely tough time and who face a period of unemployment. Nurses are well-paid for the job. They have a secure job and they have other benefits.

"There are many people in this country who look upon professional jobs within the NHS with some envy and we shouldn't forget the fact that some public sector jobs are, in fact, extremely well-paid."

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Yeah, like Mrs Malvolia, who for many years was running a £50m-ish department of around 100 lab staff covering 24x7 support to a major hospital, with a finishing salary of a majestic £58k a year without access to the shift allowances, on call and overtime that are the only way to get to quite serious money.

The sad thing is that money is there in the NHS - which spends half its income on wages - except that there quite a lot of higher paid people in non-productive (and certainly not patient-facing) roles.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      Yeah, like Mrs Malvolia, who for many years was running a £50m-ish department of around 100 lab staff covering 24x7 support to a major hospital, with a finishing salary of a majestic £58k a year without access to the shift allowances, on call and overtime that are the only way to get to quite serious money.

The sad thing is that money is there in the NHS - which spends half its income on wages - except that there quite a lot of higher paid people in non-productive (and certainly not patient-facing) roles.
      This seems to be the case, the money is split between the senior managers and the consultants the rest are given the scraps.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Out if interest, what pension is she likely to get? Are they still gold-plated or has that changed?

My brother and sister-in-law are both long NHS employees and, although not "well paid" if you just look at the salary, have said will never leave for another job due to the pension they'll get. They'd have to get a significantly higher salary (which their skills would not provide for) to match the overall package.

And, they've pretty much been told there's a no-mandatory-redundancy policy there.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

Out if interest, what pension is she likely to get? Are they still gold-plated or has that changed?

My brother and sister-in-law are both long NHS employees and, although not "well paid" if you just look at the salary, have said will never leave for another job due to the pension they'll get. They'd have to get a significantly higher salary (which their skills would not provide for) to match the overall package.

And, they've pretty much been told there's a no-mandatory-redundancy policy there.
          Depends on which scheme they are in. Mrs M was on the original final salary one and (oddly enough) refused an invitation to move across to the shiny new option. Later joiners may not have had the choice and new starters certainly won't.

Her scheme pays up to 40 eightieths of final year salary depending on length of service, inflation proofed of course: in her case that works out to just above the national average salary and is subject to PAYE rates of taxation of course. Thankfully that is not our only income stream.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Depends on which scheme they are in. Mrs M was on the original final salary one and (oddly enough) refused an invitation to move across to the shiny new option. Later joiners may not have had the choice and new starters certainly won't.

Her scheme pays up to 40 eightieths of final year salary depending on length of service, inflation proofed of course: in her case that works out to just above the national average salary and is subject to PAYE rates of taxation of course. Thankfully that is not our only income stream.
            Thank goodness for NLyUK's clients at the docks Friday night!

Comment

So, definitely on the upper end of the pension scale, by today's standards. For that, I think many would be willing to acceptance a pittance of a £58K salary

I 'm sure my brother and his wife are on the final salary scheme too, hence their comments.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

So, definitely on the upper end of the pension scale, by today's standards. For that, I think many would be willing to acceptance a pittance of a £58K salary
                Given the average uk salary is £36k, I wouldn't call £58k a pittance.

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post

Given the average uk salary is £36k, I wouldn't call £58k a pittance.
                  I would. How much do you get by on?
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

I would. How much do you get by on?
                    I keep saying it, we are extremely well paid compared to most. £58k is in the top 10% for a salary. I suspect many of us on here earn much more.

£27k as a pension is very acceptable once housing purchase is excluded, you might even afford some pork chops in the UK.

Without mortgage we have survived on £12k a year and we lived OK no holiday though.

Comment

Working...
                    X