• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New Forum Bug Reports

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post

It seems you might have fixed it but I wonder if it's attached to the ignore functionality which means its not as simple as the thread has 1407 posts so open page 1407/(posts per page)+1.

So you end up writing a large amount of javascript as it's easier than working out how to do it in the backend.
    There's already a huge amount of logic (in PHP) being used to deal with working out which page to go to for a particular post. What the "first unread post" (which is not the same as "last post") functionality has to do is work out what that first unread post is for the current user, and redirect to that, and then the existing logic will kick in and ensure they get to the right place. It's inside that logic that the problem with ignored posts kicks in; that one's still on the list, but it seems I'm the only one who'd never realised the "last unread post" link existed, so I'm concentrating on that as everybody else seems to miss it badly

I've finally tracked down the code where they handle it; it's conveniently located in a completely different place to all the other code that handles sending you to where you want to be, so it took a while to find it. It also turns out to be dumber than I expected by quite a considerable margin

But the important thing is that I can now see exactly how they deal with it (it also has to check various site and user config options, so it's not quite as simple as it might at first appear) and add the relevant functionality in the correct place (i.e. where all the rest of that happens in our own code). I'm not certain yet, but it looks like I can thereby eliminate a redirect too, as well as removing the JavaScript dependency. Shouldn't be too long now…

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

Fixed
      Ohh BullTulip!
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        Just discovered that the swear filter isn't on and tulip doesn't come out looking like tulips any more.
        I had my money on TestMangler discovering this shortly before his ban for circumventing the filter.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Shouldn't be too long now…
          This might help!

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

A new bug when I look at someone user profile the rep option appears and shows me my rep

merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

it seems I'm the only one who'd never realised the "last unread post" link existed
              I'd never noticed it either and it took a few minutes of staring at the screen to find it

Comment

also it seems the image option allows file uploads but they don't work (tried both gif and png). Probably easier just to edit the html and remove the upload tab

upload images
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

A new bug when I look at someone user profile the rep option appears and shows me my rep

I'd already reported that but without a screenshot

Comment

also it seems the image option allows file uploads but they don't work (tried both gif and png). Probably easier just to edit the html and remove the upload tab

upload images
                    I'll see about getting the file uploads working, assuming it's controlled by the same settings as the "add attachment" facility, which is activated using the clipboard+paperclip icon to the top right of the editor but needs to have the permitted filetypes configured

Comment

Clearly not a priority but if we allow uploads now, please can you let us directly paste them in when posting? It's such a nice feature on modern forums with screengrabs and so on
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X