• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Eric Bristow

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Oh, it was just a mis-wording: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...abuse-comments

Funny how people, in particular bigots and right wingers, suddenly come out and say these things afterwards or that they were hacked or they were on medication. Why doesn't he just MTFU and say that, yes he actually meant it...
    He's "sorry he offended people". The sort of half-arsed apology that usually follows things like this.

It doesn't matter that he offended people - who gives a tulip about that. People have the right to offend and be ignored. I wasn't offended by what he said, I wasn't particularly shocked at all to hear it from somebody like him. Its the fact that his attitude and others that have this attitude actually cause genuine harm.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post

He doesn't have a point. If you think he has a point then that makes you a bit of a c*** too.

It's attitudes like his that shame people into not coming forward.

Those speaking out ARE the ones fighting back and empowering other victims to come forward.

People like him and those that would defend him are just
      All the same, for many years now child abuse criminal investigations have been vigorously pursued and public opinion sympathetic to victims. So why wait until now to come forward?

I suspect the Government have somehow brought this investigation to the fore in the last few months, and persuaded victims to go public, as a distraction from Brexit.
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        All the same, for many years now child abuse criminal investigations have been vigorously pursued and public opinion sympathetic to victims. So why wait until now to come forward?

I suspect the Government have somehow brought this investigation to the fore in the last few months, and persuaded victims to go public, as a distraction from Brexit.
        Actually the FA binned off it's internal investigation back in 2003, citing lack of funds.

Criminal investigations can only happen when Police can be given reason to believe an offence has taken place. If the victims don't talk there is not much they can do.

Part of the abuse process is convincing the victims that the abuse is their fault, that they deserve it in some way and that if they say anything they or their loved ones will be made to suffer for it. It's psychological as well as physical, and it's deeply damaging.

The fact that you can actually think that the Govt. would exploit child sex abuse for political purposes says more about you than anything else.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by I just need to test it View Post
          Strawman. No one is saying this.
          I was replying to DA's first post.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
            The fact that you can actually think that the Govt. would exploit child sex abuse for political purposes says more about you than anything else.
            You mean like the Government, or MI5, indirectly exploited children in the Kincora Boys' Home in the 1970s ?

They may not have directly encouraged abuse, but they were content to take advantage of abuse committed by others.

Comment

You mean like the Government, or MI5, indirectly exploited children in the Kincora Boys' Home in the 1970s ?

They may not have directly encouraged abuse, but they were content to take advantage of abuse committed by others.
              sad to say I suspect OwlHoot has a point.

I suspect the security services have a weird moral compass.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

As I was saying earlier, it was pretty much accepted as just one of those things.

A lot of people have very short memories, we already know a lot of MPs were previously involved.
                It was covered up for years, simple as that.
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Criminal investigations can only happen when Police can be given reason to believe an offence has taken place. If the victims don't talk there is not much they can do.
                  Unless, of course, the 'criminal' is a serving police officer:

Chief Inspector Anglesea

And even when a publication like Private Eye break the story (again) they have the 'clout' to see off the accusers, allowing them to continue their sick practices.

In 1994, Anglesea was awarded £375,000 in libel damages after media organisations ran stories about his links to abuse at children's homes in north Wales.
                  Note the lack of National publicity over this very serious miscarriage of justice.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

I suspect the security services have a weird moral compass.
                    Yes, the needle points toward the heading "Results"

Comment

Because it's STILL a massive deal to do so - you're inevitably dredging stuff up from decades ago which you've spent your adult life trying not to think about. Many people actually repress these things to the point they barely remember them.
                      Bringing that up and risking your name and most intimate painful memories being splashed around the media is a hard thing to do especially if you have no proof... to be the first one to come forward is very risky.
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X