• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

[Merged]Brexit stuff

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    I can only presume they are hinting about previous grants to Ford and Nissan but as far as I know, there hasn’t been since 2009.

The article is a bit wishy washy especially about airline fuel having a “subsidy” because there is no tax on it. In fact there is already a hefty tax on air travel.
    As I said in my first posting of the link, I don't regard everything they call a subsidy as being a subsidy or even being bad. Being the Guardian I assume they were trying to make a political point about capitalism.

Looking at Nissan, they seem to imply that getting hardly any corporation tax is a subsidy. Maybe. However, I would argue it is better to have no corporation tax but thousands of jobs than no corporation tax and no jobs.

IIRC the Government provided millions to Nissan in 2012 to assist with their expansion. Again, I wouldn't necessarily call that a subsidy, or if it is, it is maybe a sensible one.

Whatever, I believe I have provided the evidence requested.

Comment

I thought the first 'promise' was £350m on the NHS?

And she has actually stated that she wants something more focussed as a general points system is too weak. Anyway, one of your comrades created a whole new thread about this here.

Please keep up.

Comment

The UK will be a divided country for many years to come for as long as this bickering continues. One camp thinks they'll just talk over. Eventually the quite voices will be drowned out and trodden on. Meanwhile the economy has no sense of direction and uncertainty grows.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
          I have more intelligence than you muppets put together.

Anyway, I know you all love the Gurniad, so try this...but you lefties will do...
          You're so smart you think all the people who voted remain on this site are Grauniad reading lefties? You make PurpleGorilla look quick witted and informed!

Just an observation, but the vast majority of your posts are simply insults towards anyone who disagrees with your narrow minded parochial pig-ignorant viewpoint, seemingly directed towards stirring up argument. At least PurpleGorilla, Flashman, and other members of the Brexit group here have more than one song. Quite trollish behaviour.

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
            The UK will be a divided country for many years to come for as long as this bickering continues. One camp thinks they'll just talk over. Eventually the quite voices will be drowned out and trodden on. Meanwhile the economy has no sense of direction and uncertainty grows.
            I expect we will hear politicians say lots of strong words about the will of the people and then come to a shoddy compromise with a fig leaf they can wave like a victory banner. And that will probably be near enough the centre of public opinion on the matter.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              No, EU will still be there, much stronger than it is now.
              Just as the Soviet Union did when it started to break up?
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                You're so smart you think all the people who voted remain on this site are Grauniad reading lefties? You make PurpleGorilla look quick witted and informed!

Just an observation, but the vast majority of your posts are simply insults towards anyone who disagrees with your narrow minded parochial pig-ignorant viewpoint, seemingly directed towards stirring up argument. At least PurpleGorilla, Flashman, and other members of the Brexit group here have more than one song. Quite trollish behaviour.

Ooooh, trolling. I don't think so.

As you will note, I was asked to provide evidence of my claim about subsidies. I did so. As most of the Remainers supporting posts are from the Guardian or the independent I thought you might accept this a bit more than a post from e.g. The Express, but in reality you don't want evidence you disagree with.

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

Just checked last night's posts and can't see anything particularly insulting. I note that Scooter called Dodgy a winker but that's just handbags.

I presented evidence requested by SAS and Paddy and gave Paddy a half decent reply seeing as he is one of the very few on the Remain side who would understand it.

Definitely no trolling here. Just standing up for democracy.
                Last edited by NotAllThere; 6 September 2016, 07:48. Reason: Subsequent postings

Comment

Originally posted by GB9
                  Just checked last night's posts and can't see anything particularly insulting. I note that Scooter called Dodgy a winker but that's just handbags.

I presented evidence requested by SAS and Paddy and gave Paddy a half decent reply seeing as he is one of the very few on the Remain side who would understand it.

Definitely no trolling here. Just standing up for democracy.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    I expect we will hear politicians say lots of strong words about the will of the people and then come to a shoddy compromise with a fig leaf they can wave like a victory banner. And that will probably be near enough the centre of public opinion on the matter.
                    I would hope you are right, but unfortunately I feel the genie is out of the bottle. Unless immigration is dealt with then UKIP will have a field day come the next election mainly at labours expense.
                    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
                      Ooooh, trolling. I don't think so. ...
                      That's what all trolls says. Of course, if you're innocent, then you've nothing to fear.
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X