• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

[Merged]Brexit stuff

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    What he means is that there won't be a trade deal in place for years , not in 3 years.

The formal negotiations will begin in 3 years not be completed. Trade negotiations typically take 5 or 6 years.

No. That's not what he said. He said no deal for 3 years. The Indy conveniently left out the '3' in its headline. The prelims have already started. That is quoted.We just can't sign until we are out.

In other news Scotland food and drink industry bullish on Brexit. Forecasts raised.

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
      No. That's not what he said. He said no deal for 3 years. The Indy conveniently left out the '3' in its headline. The prelims have already started. That is quoted.We just can't sign until we are out.

In other news Scotland food and drink industry bullish on Brexit. Forecasts raised.
      I doubt that. Australian Broadcasting Company also suggesting years:

Australia and UK take first step to post-Brexit free trade deal, but final agreement could take years - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

There will be some very tricky sticking points. Once a trade negotiation starts all the special interest groups will jump in and hold it up. You'll find lots of Australian interest groups opposing a free trade deal to protect their own interests, farmers for example.

They're not simply going to open everything up and watch British companies trample all over them to make up for the loss of EU business.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Australia and UK take first step to post-Brexit free trade deal, but final agreement could take years - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

There will be some very tricky sticking points. Once a trade negotiation starts all the special interest groups will jump in and hold it up. You'll find lots of Australian interest groups opposing a free trade deal to protect their own interests, farmers for example.

They're not simply going to open everything up and watch British companies trample all over them to make up for the loss of EU business.
        Even the BBC is objective! Although the interview was on their radio station so we know what he said. And reading the text he said 'at least two and a half years', so not even 3.

That's debating I suppose. I'll post what he said and then you can make it sound as negative as you want.

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
          Even the BBC is objective! Although the interview was on their radio station so we know what he said. And reading the text he said 'at least two and a half years', so not even 3.

That's debating I suppose. I'll post what he said and then you can make it sound as negative as you want.
          "at least 2 and half years" means that is the earliest, not the latest. Australia will complete it's deal with the EU first as that has priority.

The Brexit ministry are going to find that trade deals won't be completed immediately after formal negotiations start. 3 years would be very very optimistic.

Formal negotiations is the point where all those democratic stake holders will jump in, throwing spanners in everywhere.

Democracy is a very inefficient process. I reckon you're looking at 5 years min.

Last edited by BlasterBates; 7 September 2016, 08:48.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Yeah let's hope a deal with Australia is done soon.
              The cheap Vegemite may cheer up those who've lost their jobs when the Japs move out
              Australia's economy is based on raw materials and mining, they've fook all to trade.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

At least we've made some progress on the 'Back to reality' tour, and now none of the Brexiters are talking about having trade deals ready BEFORE we exit the EU. Progress.

Now I wonder how long it'll take em to figure out that WTO is an absolute no no for the UK. 3 Months? 6 Months?

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                  speaking of which....

Nigel Farage says May has BUCKLED over Brexit and will not secure control of borders | UK | News | Daily Express

Nigel Farage throwing his toys out of the pram.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by sirja View Post
                    Now I wonder how long it'll take em to figure out that WTO is an absolute no no for the UK. 3 Months? 6 Months?
                    Well there are senior politicians who believe WTO is a valid option.
                    Which it is, if you are a Tory whose business interests would welcome the fall in wages caused by a large rise in unemployment.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Team Brexit car

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                      X