• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

[Merged]Brexit stuff

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    And you're displaying your pig ignorance. Again.
    Ah, so you want to be European but also keep the option of coming back to us just in case (when) the EU goes tits up. There was me thinking you were going to renounce your British citizenship and be a proper citizen of the EU Commission.

Not that confident, are you?

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      Exactly so if you don't like the commission you can vote in a European Parliament that has the power to throw them out.
      How do we manage that exactly? Don't forget we objected to Juncker and look how far that got us.

We can have a handful of MEPs that are completely outvoted (or just vetoed) by a load of other countries and their MEPs.

You lot still don't seem to understand this is about controlling our own laws. Not being at the whim of the other countries in the EU. Why do you think TM said we would no longer be controlled by the ECJ?

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
        Not that bright, are you?
        ftfy

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Your friend Damon you linked to says it will make you poorer. If you believe him about risk, do you believe him when has says:

The vote will reduce Britain’s GDP and increase uncertainty.

i.e. overall, Britain will become poorer. (btw, -I don't doubt that the risk to the € is 5 times higher. That just means Brexit could end up impoverishing everyone. Not exactly a positive result).
          Initially, probably. However, long term I believe it will make us much better off as we will no longer be hamstrung waiting on 27 (+) other nations to decide upon what the heck it is they want from each and every trade deal.

And it will only pull us all down if the EU insists on it. If they agreed to tariff free trade as much of the rest of the world does then both ourselves and the EU would benefit. They are only insisting on freedom of movement because it's one of their ideological 'freedoms'. If we were asking for free trade and free movement but denying them free movement then you could understand them saying no, but the decision to insist on linking the two is down to the EU Commission and no others. If we all suffer as a result then they have themselves to blame.

Hopefully the following explanation will help your addled mind: much domestic retail relies on imports. Such companies will have to pay more for those goods - bringing inflationary pressure on clothes, electronics, white goods etc. A lot of food is imported. The prices of these things will have to go up. Fuel is priced in $ on the markets, so fuel becomes more expensive as the £ falls. When fuel prices rise the cost of everything increases, since moving the stuff around costs more. That cost is passed on to the customers - i.e. you. The cash in your pocket now buys less than it used to, hence you are poorer.
          Indeed some goods we will have to continue to buy from overseas and they will possibly cost more dependent upon how much of the increase the supplier wishes to absorb. However, there are other things such as cars that we will have a choice on. Do I continue to buy a Porsche that costs £80k now but with a weakness in Sterling and a 10% tariff would end up costing £95K+? Or do I buy a JLR or Aston instead? A couple of the parts for the vehicles are sourced overseas so may cost more but as they are assembled here, then certainly not to the same extent? Much as I love Porsche, if they aren't competitive then I will spend on something else. Who loses out?
          Your pension pot is up because it's invested in companies who deal largely overseas, and so are sheltered from the effects of the weak £. However, an increase of your pension pot of 10% will not help if prices rise 15% (for example). It is a fact that the impoverishing effects of a weak pound are mitigated by investments in companies that do not rely on imports. So well done - you've a good pension provider.

During periods of high inflation, but high unemployment, people who managed to work did very well. Similarly a weak pound may benefit some people. You personally may (short or long term) be better off, but when prices rise (if the £ remains weak, or weakens further as is expected), most people won't be.
          My pension pot (as is most peoples) is up because a sizeable chunk of it is invested in companies that deal in assets priced in $ as you mentioned earlier. So the Petrol giants, miners and those who export and sell in other currencies are seeing their SP increase based upon the increased return in £. Thank you for the pension provider comment though as I selected the funds myself.

People are indeed worse off when prices rise, but as we have been well under the target inflation rate for several years (I hate to think how many letters the Governor of the BoE has written) then we are due a wee bout of inflation. I'm sure we can survive.

Comment

It's funny that you don't see the discrepancy between your two statements. But then, once again you flaunt your pig ignorance, so only to be expected. Nonetheless, you're still pretty funny. The depth of your self-deception is astounding.
            ...We didn't vote to be citizens of the EU.
            Oh, and we still don't vote for PMs in this country. We vote for MPs and the winning party decides who is going to lead it.
            The occasional referendum aside, we don't make votes on treaties (and many many other thins) in this country either. We vote for MPs and winning party decides what they'll do, including which treaties will be signed - e.g. the one that conferred European Citizenship on us.

We got European Citizenship because we voted for MPs whose party policy mean signing the treat. British Democracy in action.

Ah, so you want to be European but also keep the option of coming back to us just in case (when) the EU goes tits up. There was me thinking you were going to renounce your British citizenship and be a proper citizen of the EU Commission.

Not that confident, are you?
            And you're displaying your pig ignorance. Again.
            And again... I live in Switzerland, not in the EU. And as I've stated before, Swiss law means that Brexit will not affect my rights to continue to live and work here.

Anyway, do carry on. Your moronic spouting makes entertaining readings.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
              A good read. And whilst you might jest I do feel my identity being eroded in circumstance beyond my control. It's terribly sad this situation could occur in the circumstances in which it did.

I'm being stripped of my citizenship – along with 65 million others

"That's because a Government supported by only 20% of UK adults got to have total control of the UK Parliament on the basis of FPTP, (and even being down to just 1 seat in a large constituent part of the UK), having an unelected PM who stated a decade ago that Brown had no democratic right to be PM as he was appointed on the same basis; and her government is largely comprised of people who admitted lying to the UK citizenship during the recent referendum. It is a coup d'etat that would make numerous dictators blush and the thought of how they had grabbed power. Now she intends (with no other opinion to be allowed within her government, and especially not Parliament) to move the UK even further to the right than it was under the obnoxious Osborne, whilst proclaiming "This won't hurt."
              David Shariatmadari can fook off.

Comment

How do we manage that exactly? Don't forget we objected to Juncker and look how far that got us.

We can have a handful of MEPs that are completely outvoted (or just vetoed) by a load of other countries and their MEPs.

You lot still don't seem to understand this is about controlling our own laws. Not being at the whim of the other countries in the EU. Why do you think TM said we would no longer be controlled by the ECJ?

Exactly MEP's were outvoted, that's democracy.

You can't claim the EU isn't democratic as it has a parliament and the parliament approve appointment and can sack the commision at will, in the same way MP's can sack their appointee ministers, who incidentally don't need to be democratically elected MP's.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  David Shariatmadari can fook off.
                  David Shariatmadari ....lives in New York

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                    Exactly MEP's were outvoted, that's democracy.

You can't claim the EU isn't democratic as it has a parliament and the parliament approve appointment and can sack the commision at will, in the same way MP's can sack their appointee ministers, who incidentally don't need to be democratically elected MP's.
                    The Undemocratic EU Explained - It Will Never Change | Huffington Post

Comment

EU democracy explained.

Major EU decisions are still made by the European council, made up of each country's national leaders who all have voting rights proportional to their population. Contrary to popular supposition the regularly maligned "unelected Eurocrats" – the commission president and council president – do not get a vote at all.
                      Last edited by BlasterBates; 8 October 2016, 18:05.
                      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X