• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Retro Toys - Toys you had as a kid

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Action man with parachute but without eagle eyes poor Yorkshire folk and all that.

Also a board game called 'Sorry' that used to come out everytime we went to see the grandparents. Didn't like to play with Gran though as we thought she was cheating saying Sorry out of turn. It wasn't until we were older my mum said that's cause she'd wet herself and was nothing to do with the game.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 14 September 2015, 12:54.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Scroatman View Post
      In the where?

I recall an amazing travel game called Spot-A-Lot that kept us young whippersnappers quiet on many a long car journey.

It was a board with magnetic pieces (Just as well in my father's old Citroen Ami 8!) and the object was to progress one's piece around the board in the same manner as any other board game such as snakes and ladders or ludo except there were no dice.

Instead, there was a pack of cards and each card detailed a series of artifacts that one may observe through the window of a moving car with each of these being allocated a score that reflected the likelihood of observing that item. So, for example, a cow would get you 2 points and an airfield 10 points. Upon seeing something on the card, the player would move his piece the commensurate number of places on the board and then pick up another card to repeat the process and so it would go on until somebody reached the end.
      Attic damn autocorrect.

Comment

Had one of these until one of the kids in our cul-de-sac bust it, then a couple of years ago they re released them and my dad got it me for xmas

Comment

Originally posted by Fandango View Post
          Had one of these until one of the kids in our cul-de-sac bust it, then a couple of years ago they re released them and my dad got it me for xmas

Yeah but the one thing which seems to be true of many of these things is

actually when you play with them now they are just a bit $h!t

Comment

Comment

Had one of these when I was about eight, but the end of the barrel snapped off during a particularly frenetic battle. Then an uncle, who had no idea that I'd previously had one, gave me another a Christmas or two later

And I've still got the rare Corgi Yellow Submarine with yellow and white hatches, like the one in the box in this photo, with the more common red-hatched variant in front:

though mine is very far from mint condition, and the box would have been chucked out on the birthday that I received it, probably in 1968

More on the original Corgi Yellow Submarine and its many later variants: Corgi Toys Yellow Submarine... - Themed Collections

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                Had one of these when I was about eight, but the end of the barrel snapped off during a particularly frenetic battle. Then an uncle, who had no idea that I'd previously had one, gave me another a Christmas or two later

My brothers and I had one of these each.

The fact that the "bullets" wouldn't go more than about 10 feet at most meant we usually resorted to shouting BANG at each other.
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I had one of these bad boys when I was about 7 or 8!!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Big Trak would have counted until it was re-released last year.

Anyone else experience the horrors of things like:
                    The octopus falling off the window part way through its descent and landing in fluff/carpet/dirt?
                    The polystyrene plane catching a gust of wind and disappearing forever?

These were serious 1980s first world problems.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                      My brothers and I had one of these each.

The fact that the "bullets" wouldn't go more than about 10 feet at most meant we usually resorted to shouting BANG at each other.
                      That is a replica of the rifles we were issued with when I was in the army. Better than the plastic SA80s that they have nowadays anyway.
                      “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                      X