• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

“DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, said Death.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like he was a nice guy, and it's a great shame he died so young, but those novels look a right nonsensical mish mash, and I'm afraid I don't plan on reading any.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      ...but those novels look a right nonsensical mish mash...
      I think you're confusing him with J.K.Rowling. Pratchett novels - especially the later ones - have a well developed, consistent* sense of place.

I can't find the quote, but he said something like that his novels cover serious topics such as slavery, freedom of the press, religion etc. "but you include one lousy dragon and suddenly you're a fantasy writer".

Even my wife enjoys his better books - and she can't stand fantasy novels usually. There's been a couple of decent tv-movies made.

*depending on the particular trouser leg of time
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

GNU Terry Pratchett

Redditors are making sure that TP's name lives on forever

http://www.reddit.com/r/discworld/co...ss_the/cpcmru1

GNU Terry Pratchett : discworld
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

You think Administrator will do the necessary for every CUK page served?
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Code:
            http://forums.contractoruk.com/general/105179-dont-think-dying-said-death-3.html

GET /general/105179-dont-think-dying-said-death-3.html HTTP/1.1
            Host: forums.contractoruk.com
            User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:36.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/36.0
            Accept: text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8
            Accept-Language: en-US,en;q=0.5
            Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate
            Referer: http://forums.contractoruk.com/general/105179-dont-think-dying-said-death-2.html
            Connection: keep-alive
            Cache-Control: max-age=0

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
            Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2015 20:34:36 GMT
            Server: Apache/2.2.14 (Ubuntu)
            X-Powered-By: PHP/5.3.2-1ubuntu4.28
            Expires: 0
            Cache-Control: private, post-check=0, pre-check=0, max-age=0
            Pragma: no-cache
            Content-Encoding: gzip
            Content-Length: 53049
            X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
            Keep-Alive: timeout=2, max=100
            Connection: Keep-Alive
            Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              Sounds like he was a nice guy, and it's a great shame he died so young, but those novels look a right nonsensical mish mash, and I'm afraid I don't plan on reading any.
              entirely your loss.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I read one.

Don't think it was a discworld one though.

Someone had stolen the core of a nuclear reactor in it.

Comment

Inn-Sewer-Ants

Inn-Sewer-Ants: the translation of an Agatean concept brought to Ankh-Morpork by Twoflower.

The idea was that a financial institution, upon payment of a yearly "premium", would guarantee reimbursement of loss of property due to fire or other disaster.

This must have worked well in the Aurient, but Morporkians soon found the opportunity to reap windfall profits of thousands of percent irresistible.

The ensuing chain of events included the Great Fire of Ankh-Morpork, the formation of the Firefighters' Guild, and Charcoal Wednesday. Blown by the up-draft, the scorched parchment of the Inn-sewer-ants polly-sea floated across the Disc.

It came down on the Brown Islands where the natives laughingly worshiped it as a god. For the next seven years they received good rainfall and bumper harvests of crops.

A research team of UU wizards later dispatched to study this event finally concluded; 'it only goes to show'.

Comment

Bill Nighy to narrate Terry Pratchett’s footnotes in new Discworld recordings | Terry Pratchett | The Guardian
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                    X