• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

“DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, said Death.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quote from Reaper Man: "No one is actually dead until the ripples they cause in the world die away" singularly appropriate I thought. Love his books - one of the few writers that could make me laugh out loud RIP
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      I found this - a smashing way to see his Discworld books.

Where is Raising Steam? I couldn't see it there.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Snuff follows Thud
        Raising Steam follows Making Money
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I find it odd a few are classed as "young adult" because I always thought that the main discworld books were aimed at that demographic (15-25) and the younger ones were childrens' books.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            I find it odd a few are classed as "young adult" because I always thought that the main discworld books were aimed at that demographic (15-25) and the younger ones were childrens' books.
            The early ones, at least, were quite rude.

Comment

I think you will find that by "young adult" they mean early teens onwards, basically aimed at kids.

Quite a lot of his books deal with adult matters and make use of grown up humour that might well be a challenge to kids.

If it turns out that he took an assisted route to the end then I'm certainly not going to condemn his choice, I do believe that people should have the option to decide their own fate and if they've no quality of life or prospect of it then they should have options available. Not that it makes his loss less sad to me as I've had so much enjoyment reading his books.

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
                The early ones, at least, were quite rude.
                Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                I think you will find that by "young adult" they mean early teens onwards, basically aimed at kids.

Quite a lot of his books deal with adult matters and make use of grown up humour that might well be a challenge to kids.
                They never struck me that way - I was in my early/mid teens as many of the classic discworld books came out, and remember eagerly waiting the school library to get each new book (which luckily happened very often).

Perhaps not for younger kids but I thought 13-18 was the core Discworld reading demographic! But then I was a pretty avid reader so maybe not typical.

Comment

They never struck me that way - I was in my early/mid teens as many of the classic discworld books came out, and remember eagerly waiting the school library to get each new book (which luckily happened very often).

Perhaps not for younger kids but I thought 13-18 was the core Discworld reading demographic! But then I was a pretty avid reader so maybe not typical.
                  It's not mega rude, but for kids it'd probably be sometimes inappropriate. It's subtle though so it's go right over the head's of the small ones.

The prologue of the first book sets the tone :

There was, for example, the theory that A'Tuin had come from nowhere and would continue at a uniform crawl, or steady gait, into nowhere, for all time. This theory was popular among academics.
                  An alternative, favoured by those of a religious persuasion, was that A'Tuin was crawling from the Birthplace to the Time of Mating, as were all the stars in the sky which were, obviously, also carried by giant turtles. When they arrived they would briefly and passionately mate, for the first and only time, and from that fiery union new turtles would be born to carry a new pattern of worlds. This was known as the Big Bang hypothesis."

Comment

I've read them all as an adult and a parent so apart from the ones that were obviously written for kids I've viewed them as intended for an adult market. I assumed Discworld core target was mid-late teens onwards, just goes to show how relevant context is.

That being said I read many books aimed clearly at adults (no not the mucky type ones, ok well a few of those too) as a child and teenager, so it's hardly a fixed thing, but there are certainly subtleties that need the adult mind to spot and his writing had no shortage of those which was part of his appeal and his talent.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                      If it turns out that he took an assisted route to the end then I'm certainly not going to condemn his choice, I do believe that people should have the option to decide their own fate and if they've no quality of life or prospect of it then they should have options available. Not that it makes his loss less sad to me as I've had so much enjoyment reading his books.
                      His family have stated that he didn't. He just died of his condition.

Comment

Working...
                      X