• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "“DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, said Death."

Collapse

• cojak
    replied
    Bill Nighy to narrate Terry Pratchett’s footnotes in new Discworld recordings | Terry Pratchett | The Guardian

Leave a comment:

• jonskids
    replied
    Inn-Sewer-Ants

Inn-Sewer-Ants: the translation of an Agatean concept brought to Ankh-Morpork by Twoflower.

The idea was that a financial institution, upon payment of a yearly "premium", would guarantee reimbursement of loss of property due to fire or other disaster.

This must have worked well in the Aurient, but Morporkians soon found the opportunity to reap windfall profits of thousands of percent irresistible.

The ensuing chain of events included the Great Fire of Ankh-Morpork, the formation of the Firefighters' Guild, and Charcoal Wednesday. Blown by the up-draft, the scorched parchment of the Inn-sewer-ants polly-sea floated across the Disc.

It came down on the Brown Islands where the natives laughingly worshiped it as a god. For the next seven years they received good rainfall and bumper harvests of crops.

A research team of UU wizards later dispatched to study this event finally concluded; 'it only goes to show'.

Leave a comment:

• zeitghost
    replied
    I read one.

Don't think it was a discworld one though.

Someone had stolen the core of a nuclear reactor in it.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Sounds like he was a nice guy, and it's a great shame he died so young, but those novels look a right nonsensical mish mash, and I'm afraid I don't plan on reading any.
    entirely your loss.

Leave a comment:

• administrator
    replied
    Code:
    http://forums.contractoruk.com/general/105179-dont-think-dying-said-death-3.html

GET /general/105179-dont-think-dying-said-death-3.html HTTP/1.1
    Host: forums.contractoruk.com
    User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:36.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/36.0
    Accept: text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8
    Accept-Language: en-US,en;q=0.5
    Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate
    Referer: http://forums.contractoruk.com/general/105179-dont-think-dying-said-death-2.html
    Connection: keep-alive
    Cache-Control: max-age=0

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
    Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2015 20:34:36 GMT
    Server: Apache/2.2.14 (Ubuntu)
    X-Powered-By: PHP/5.3.2-1ubuntu4.28
    Expires: 0
    Cache-Control: private, post-check=0, pre-check=0, max-age=0
    Pragma: no-cache
    Content-Encoding: gzip
    Content-Length: 53049
    X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
    Keep-Alive: timeout=2, max=100
    Connection: Keep-Alive
    Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    You think Administrator will do the necessary for every CUK page served?

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    GNU Terry Pratchett

Redditors are making sure that TP's name lives on forever

http://www.reddit.com/r/discworld/co...ss_the/cpcmru1

GNU Terry Pratchett : discworld

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    ...but those novels look a right nonsensical mish mash...
    I think you're confusing him with J.K.Rowling. Pratchett novels - especially the later ones - have a well developed, consistent* sense of place.

I can't find the quote, but he said something like that his novels cover serious topics such as slavery, freedom of the press, religion etc. "but you include one lousy dragon and suddenly you're a fantasy writer".

Even my wife enjoys his better books - and she can't stand fantasy novels usually. There's been a couple of decent tv-movies made.

*depending on the particular trouser leg of time

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Sounds like he was a nice guy, and it's a great shame he died so young, but those novels look a right nonsensical mish mash, and I'm afraid I don't plan on reading any.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by TheLordDave View Post
    I tried to read one of the disc world books many years ago, just couldn't get into it. Might have to give it another go on holidays this year.
    Which one was it? There are one or two that I won't read that often.

Leave a comment:

• TheLordDave
    replied
    I tried to read one of the disc world books many years ago, just couldn't get into it. Might have to give it another go on holidays this year.

Leave a comment:

• Zero Liability
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Me neither, but always meant to.

Any recommendations on where to start?
    Guess we know now.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    Mudskipper, start with the Rincewind books, the Colour of Magic was the first of his Discworld ones.

They do have a rough timeline as per the graphic, but don't get too bothered by that. You don't have to have read the previous ones to enjoy the others, most are free standing stories but using a common world and some shared characters.
    Ta, will download now

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    I found this - a smashing way to see his Discworld books.

Mudskipper, start with the Rincewind books, the Colour of Magic was the first of his Discworld ones.

They do have a rough timeline as per the graphic, but don't get too bothered by that. You don't have to have read the previous ones to enjoy the others, most are free standing stories but using a common world and some shared characters.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by Zero Liability View Post
    Not read anything by him but he seems like he was a genuinely lovely person. Although I do intend to read the Discworld novels at some point.
    Me neither, but always meant to.

Any recommendations on where to start?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X