• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Salmond "We can take Scotland in two weeks"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Unless it's a poll with a Yes majority or a rumour of 1.5 million people signing a declaration.

Fortunately, I am sure you don't simply believe the stuff you want to and ignore the rest.
    You know I am not completely against independence, very nearly but if there was a realistic plan created by people I could trust then I would consider it.

...and that explains why I am against independence

Comment

I think it's going be a huge turnout. Bookies reckon about 80% Scottish Independence Referendum Turnout Betting Odds | Politics Betting | Oddschecker

This is a cracking election campaign, and I'll be really disappointed if it's a No (as is starting to look more likely) as I'm really curious to find out what happens next.
      It would be a bit of an anti-climax if they vote No. I don't really GAS about how it affects the UK but it would be nice to be here for such a pivotal moment in history.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
        You know I am not completely against independence, very nearly but if there was a realistic plan created by people I could trust then I would consider it.

...and that explains why I am against independence
        My concern would be that many businesses are looking at the independence debate and thinking no point going to Scotland the risks of this occurring again are just too great.

You may as well vote yes because I think the pain is going to be the same regardless...
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Jim Sillars @NaeFear · 20h

On road #margomobile. Picking up boycott of orgs forming. First tgts J Lewis, Waitrose BP petrol stns #indyref

Your default position is to disbelieve anything that is told to you.
          You said "Yes politicians are threatening revenge on BP and the banks after a yes vote."

Jim Sillars' tweet doesn't mention Yes politicians. He says he's picking up a boycott, I would suggest, from people in the street he's talking to probably because they are sick of the threats from big corporations to try and sway their vote.

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
            No, I rather think you missed the point I was making. I (again, try to keep up this time) fully believe there will be a CU. You 100% believe there won't be.

As neither of us will be on the negotiating teams, we'll just need to wait and see who was correct, assuming, first, that there is a yes vote.
            No I don't 100% believe there won't be. All other things being equal, there is no reason for EWNI to accept and they've said they won't and there are obvious downsides in terms of having to supervise iScotalnd's fiscal affairs and all the grief that will come with that. And you cannot have what you want without both parties accepting. However, I can see that in the event of catastrophic capital flight from Scotland (which I really don't think will happen), EWNI may just relent to stop the Scottish economy collapsing.

But you seem to be a weird position where you 100% believe something will happen, when you also don't know for a fact that it will happen.

So what is your Plan B, or don't you need one because you're 100% sure?

Comment

But inside their heads it must be fever pitch. A whole lifetime leading up to this, and they are unexpectedly within touching distance of liberty, if only they can silence the Quislings.

It's a cracking campaign to watch, but pretty sad for democratic debate.
              I think they are calling yesterday black Wednesday, it must have been bad for the nationalists. Their usual strategy is pretty much whack a mole, don't explain anything just talk down the person and message coming from the other side. I think the nos realised this and sent a flood of people into the debate yesterday, the nationalists just went into an uncontrolled frenzy and it came across really quite bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
                You said "Yes politicians are threatening revenge on BP and the banks after a yes vote."

Jim Sillars' tweet doesn't mention Yes politicians. He says he's picking up a boycott, I would suggest, from people in the street he's talking to probably because they are sick of the threats from big corporations to try and sway their vote.
                Sillars is a yes politician, there are other outbursts on twitter from yes politicians if you want to look.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  My concern would be that many businesses are looking at the independence debate and thinking no point going to Scotland the risks of this occurring again are just too great.

You may as well vote yes because I think the pain is going to be the same regardless...
                  I think that is absolute nonsense (with the deepest respect of course). Quebec had a very close referendum in 1995, and hasn't had one since, because an acceptable constitutional settlement within Canada was found and support drained away. The same is likely to happen in the UK after a No, vote, not perhaps enough to satisfy everyone but enough to drain away some of the Yes support.

Comment

I think they are calling yesterday black Wednesday, it must have been bad for the nationalists. Their usual strategy is pretty much whack a mole, don't explain anything just talk down the person and message coming from the other side. I think the nos realised this and sent a flood of people into the debate yesterday, the nationalists just went into an uncontrolled frenzy and it came across really quite bad.
                    The great think about being Salmond, is that if you're ahead in the polls, it means you're going to win, whereas if you're behind, you're delighted to be the underdog. Or maybe I'm being unfair and that's just politicians.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Cant be worse than releasing the Lockerbie bomber. That was a real SNP fook up.

Comment

Working...
                      X