• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Salmond "We can take Scotland in two weeks"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    Nah, just means you don't need to bother with a pension because you'll never live long enough to collect it.
    And you can afford free personal care for the elderly.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
      And you can afford free personal care for the elderly.
      In Glasgow that's anyone over 25

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        bah humbug.

I've got work to do. Someone please switch off the internet for the next 15 days.
        Practising for independence?

Comment

Facility, environment, the law, less red-tape, money is important yes but the spending the UK does for it's size is not going to blow out any candles if Scotland goes, of that I'm sure.

Agreed. Perhaps why I'm typing in post in Germany instead of my home I dearly miss. Managed three visits to Edinburgh this year, hope to squeeze in a forth.
          You are going to squeeze in a bridge? Longways or sideways?

Comment

So we can adjust the retirement age to 40.

We will have to have 35 years contributions if independent, not 30 like currently in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              It can still exist but in the post devolution world where organisations are working out where to give funding and what laws/regulations apply to Scotland, why bother giving it to Scotland when you can give it to other places in the UK?
              Presumably for the same reasons they currently give funding to those Scottish institutions?

They "bother" because of the type or quality of the research these facilities carry out. Laws or regulations could stay the same or if they change, it's just as likely the changes would be advantageous, so it's less likely to affect funding.

Not directed at you specifically, but it's quite interesting to observe the notion that if Scotland leave the UK it suddenly becomes invisible, there's a whole big world out there that recognises Scotland. Many senior positions in global organisations are filled either by Scots expats or those of Scottish descent.

Comment

Originally posted by Goatfell View Post
                Presumably for the same reasons they currently give funding to those Scottish institutions?

They "bother" because of the type or quality of the research these facilities carry out. Laws or regulations could stay the same or if they change, it's just as likely the changes would be advantageous, so it's less likely to affect funding.

Not directed at you specifically, but it's quite interesting to observe the notion that if Scotland leave the UK it suddenly becomes invisible, there's a whole big world out there that recognises Scotland. Many senior positions in global organisations are filled either by Scots expats or those of Scottish descent.
                That may be true about the success of Scots but few of them have developed their careers in Scotland. You will find the outside world identifies them as being British first. Few will be associated with Scotland. Unlike the Irish who exported themselves all over the world and have maintained their National identity Scotland will become a nothing nation unless it achieves great things as a nation. One world cup in the last 50 years is all it can muster.
                Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
                  Salmond couldn't piss in a straight line, let alone run a country.
                  He's stepping down isn't he?
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    He's stepping down isn't he?
                    Like Putin did?
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                      Salmond is a power crazed nutter, he has already amalgamated the police forces who have so much power that they recommend new laws to be passed. You only had to observe what happens in the met to see the problems a super force creates. Add to that the 'named person' laws that are a total invasion of privacy to parents. This is the way dictatorships work.

Essentially I want nothing to do with this new government if it comes to pass. I will look to ways to move my company south, I will try to keep a British passport by refusing a Scottish one and if Standard Life who hold my pension don't move south as promised I will move my pension there myself. I fear the government will try to dip private pensions in the future.

Edit: add to that the SNPs attempts to end corroboration in the courts which the judges don't want.
                      I hereby challenge you to a charity bet of £100 that:

If there is a 'yes' vote, I'll wager £100 (to a charity of your choosing) that you are actually talking utter shite and will not actually do any of the things you've listed above.
                      When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Working...
                      X