• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Salmond "We can take Scotland in two weeks"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    Scottishness is celebrated only by recent generations of Scots, whereas Irishness is celebrated by anyone who has any sort of Irish connection anywhere in their ancestry.
    You're wrong (again).

Americans with Scots ancestry going back to the days of the American Civil War, Davy Crockett, etc., will always mention they are Scottish decendants and have Burns' Suppers, Highland Games, etc.

Canadians are the same with the Highland Clearances, many of their ancestors arriving in Nova Scotia (New Scotland) when they were driven out.

Austrailians and New Zealanders also have events where they wear the kilt and get nostalgic for the homeland.

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
      You're wrong (again).

Americans with Scots ancestry going back to the days of the American Civil War, Davy Crockett, etc., will always mention they are Scottish decendants and have Burns' Suppers, Highland Games, etc.

Canadians are the same with the Highland Clearances, many of their ancestors arriving in Nova Scotia (New Scotland) when they were driven out.

Austrailians and New Zealanders also have events where they wear the kilt and get nostalgic for the homeland.
      Not so keen to move back though, are they?
      Error 404: Signature not found.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        FTFY
        In fact I wonder how many Scottish bars there are around the world compared to the number of Irish bars.
        Even Scotlands greatest cultural activity of getting drunk is hardly known about unless you live next door to them. With few sporting ventures outside of their homeland their supporters have few opportunities to deliver the message about this important facet of Scottish culture
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
          In fact I wonder how many Scottish bars there are around the world compared to the number of Irish bars.
          Even Scotlands greatest cultural activity of getting drunk is hardly known about unless you live next door to them. With few sporting ventures outside of their homeland their supporters have few opportunities to deliver the message about this important facet of Scottish culture
          I thought the Scottish equivalent of a bar was a couple of unkempt men on a park bench with a bottle of Buckfast in each hand?
          ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by JustinTime View Post
            Not so keen to move back though, are they?
            Move back where? 6th or 7th generation Americans and Canadians?

Lots of them certainly visit Scotland on holiday to take in the fine scenery and historical sites.

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
              I thought the Scottish equivalent of a bar was a couple of unkempt men on a park bench with a bottle of Buckfast in each hand?
              Can't get near the bench now for Romanians and Bulgarians

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
                Move back where? 6th or 7th generation Americans and Canadians?

Lots of them certainly visit Scotland on holiday to take in the fine scenery and historical sites.
                No, stop. I can't breathe. Ha-ha-ha...
                Last edited by JustinTime; 3 September 2014, 13:26.
                Error 404: Signature not found.

Comment

Originally posted by JustinTime View Post
                  I can't breath.
                  That would give us all a break

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    FTFY
                    Is it not a touch ironic that one of the main 'whiners' about Scotland (that's you Brillo) who has plenty of dire warnings about break up and financial ruin is a bloke who can't keep a partner and is facing financial ruin ?

Made me laugh anyway
                    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

TBF, that's more down to the taxman playing dirty than anything else.

Comment

Working...
                      X