• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Salmond "We can take Scotland in two weeks"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    That may be true about the success of Scots but few of them have developed their careers in Scotland. You will find the outside world identifies them as being British first. Few will be associated with Scotland. Unlike the Irish who exported themselves all over the world and have maintained their National identity Scotland will become a nothing nation unless it achieves great things as a nation. One world cup in the last 50 years is all it can muster.
    You're wrong (again).

Scotland and Scottishness is celebrated all over the world by the diaspora just like the Irish celebrate their roots.

Britishness isn't celebrated anywhere, not even in Britain.

Comment

That may be true about the success of Scots but few of them have developed their careers in Scotland. You will find the outside world identifies them as being British first. Few will be associated with Scotland. Unlike the Irish who exported themselves all over the world and have maintained their National identity Scotland will become a nothing nation unless it achieves great things as a nation.
      The point I was trying to make was that there are decision makers who are well aware of Scotland's existence.
      While I can't speak for every country in the world, IME anywhere I've been there is definitely an appreciation of the difference, the change in attitude when they realise that you are Scottish rather than English is remarkably positive.

The Irish identity is probably one of the most recognisable but the Scot's expression of identity is proportional to the square of the distance from the bonnie glens (even if if the only glen they've been in is Rutherglen).

One world cup in the last 50 years is all it can muster.
      I think you'll find that honour belongs to the English
      Last edited by Goatfell; 3 September 2014, 10:11. Reason: spelink

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
        I hereby challenge you to a charity bet of £100 that:

If there is a 'yes' vote, I'll wager £100 (to a charity of your choosing) that you are actually talking utter shite and will not actually do any of the things you've listed above.

Yes, like I am going to divulge my personal details to a complete zoomer off the web.

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
          You must have missed the commonwealth games then.

Comment

You're wrong (again).

Scotland and Scottishness is celebrated all over the world by the diaspora just like the Irish celebrate their roots.
            And rightly so.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
              You must have missed the commonwealth games then.
              No, I didn't. The Commonwealth Games didn't celebrate Britishness.

Comment

No, I didn't. The Commonwealth Games didn't celebrate Britishness.
                No, it celebrated Tunnock's Tea Cakes and Lulu.
                ******* hilarious.
                Error 404: Signature not found.

Comment

Originally posted by JustinTime View Post
                  No, it celebrated Tunnock's Tea Cakes and Lulu.
                  ******* hilarious.
                  Exactly. Not forgetting Irn Bru and Tweed

Comment

You're wrong (again).

Scottishness is celebrated only by recent generations of Scots, whereas Irishness is celebrated by anyone who has any sort of Irish connection anywhere in their ancestry.
                    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Scottishness is celebrated only by recent generations of Scots, whereas Irishness is celebrated by anyone who likes a drink
                      FTFY

Comment

Working...
                      X