• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Salmond "We can take Scotland in two weeks"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really hope they vote Yes.

My father was Scottish and I am ashemed to admit that I've never been there - but I want a yes vote because it represents a really good kick in the establishment's nuts and that IMO can only be a good thing.

Though, a tiny bit of me wonders if a win for the Nationalists wouldn't be a kick in the nuts at all and that they'd been planning it all along. Icke-esque paranoia I guess....

By the way, a question for Scottish CUKers - my father was from Paisley which I gather isn't the most, er, picturesque of places. Is there any positive spin you can put on it that may entice me north of the border to make a pilgrimage to his place of birth?

Comment

Originally posted by Gittins Gal View Post
      I really hope they vote Yes.

My father was Scottish and I am ashemed to admit that I've never been there - but I want a yes vote because it represents a really good kick in the establishment's nuts and that IMO can only be a good thing.

Though, a tiny bit of me wonders if a win for the Nationalists wouldn't be a kick in the nuts at all and that they'd been planning it all along. Icke-esque paranoia I guess....

By the way, a question for Scottish CUKers - my father was from Paisley which I gather isn't the most, er, picturesque of places. Is there any positive spin you can put on it that may entice me north of the border to make a pilgrimage to his place of birth?
      Fly into Glasgow, take a whistle stop tour of Paisley, then head up to the highlands.
      http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by jemb View Post
        So vote Yes, but expect to be travelling.
        So become like black Rhodesians - fleeing the results of your actions? surely if you voted for it you should accept the consequences of your actions and stay to try to mend it

Personally I look at the Eire model and suspect it won't be as bad as some think, but will now be adding Scots to the automatic Bob "c.v. straight in the waste bin" for job applications received for any positions I'm recruiting for in the South East

Still undecided if we should allow those ship yard workers to move South for the MOD contracts once Rosyth closes- may be best if we sourced from ENG + Wales + NI

Anyway good luck with your "new" nation
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
          If anyone bothers to read past the poll results on the front page of the Sunday Times ( I doubt may nationalists will bother) there is a fairly scathing article on the finances of an independent Scotland.
          You should actually take the time to watch some of these videos.

5 biggest No Campaign Economics Scare Stories Debunked : Business for Scotland.

The UK Government has now said there will be a devo max option next week despite them taking it off the ballot paper. This is a breach of the Edinburgh Agreement which both sides signed 2 years ago, and is ridiculous to change the goalposts when people have already voted using postal voting.

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
            You should actually take the time to watch some of these videos.

5 biggest No Campaign Economics Scare Stories Debunked : Business for Scotland.

The UK Government has now said there will be a devo max option next week despite them taking it off the ballot paper. This is a breach of the Edinburgh Agreement which both sides signed 2 years ago, and is ridiculous to change the goalposts when people have already voted using postal voting.

Oh dear. So you really believe there will be a currency union because it makes sense to Salmond?
            It's politics. It will be unacceptable to the RUK for a currency union with an in dependant Scotland.
            You can stamp your feet as much as you want, but the SNP didn't line up the economics or wider UK and EU politics ahead of time.

Comment

Oh dear. So you really believe there will be a currency union because it makes sense to Salmond?
              It's politics. It will be unacceptable to the RUK for a currency union with an in dependant Scotland.
              You can stamp your feet as much as you want, but the SNP didn't line up the economics or wider UK and EU politics ahead of time.
              Yes, I think there will be CU as it's on the best interests of both sides. If not, we will use the £ anyway but the value will go down as rUK will have lost a chunk of it's GDP and the income it receives from Scotland to pay off it's debts.

Comment

Oh dear. So you really believe there will be a currency union because it makes sense to Salmond? .
                Yes, of course there will be a CU. No question. Otherwise there's more debt for people in England and their future generations. Kind of sweet deal really since the poll tax got dished out to Scotland first.

Revenge is a dish best served cold.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
                  Yes, I think there will be CU as it's on the best interests of both sides. If not, we will use the £ anyway but the value will go down as rUK will have lost a chunk of it's GDP and the income it receives from Scotland to pay off it's debts.
                  You can't reason with this level of stupidity.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                    You can't reason with this level of stupidity.
                    They are being sold a fantasy, when reality dawns their faces will be a picture...
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                      Revenge is a dish best served cold.
                      Jesus wept.

Comment

Working...
                      X