• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Upskilling "Soft" Skills

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sadkingbilly View Post
    no.

geez what a bunch of snowflakes.
    Even I recognised the joke and I'm known for my lack of humour around here...
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

In the past people have recommended Toastmasters.

I found that amateur theatre helps. I don't need to be actually confident, just act as though I am. As far as getting over the fear of looking stupid - I've looked stupid so often that I'm kind of immune to it now. Maybe find a local improv group.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        In the past people have recommended Toastmasters.

I found that amateur theatre helps. I don't need to be actually confident, just act as though I am. As far as getting over the fear of looking stupid - I've looked stupid so often that I'm kind of immune to it now. Maybe find a local improv group.
        I was going to suggest something similar. Joining a social group - does your local community have anything - music group (e.g. ukulele group), drama, cricket/bowls club?
        Join a group where you may know something about it, or you are interested in finding out. The great thing about these is that you will be in with a bunch of people who will have a similar attitude of wanting to learn, and hopefully not too many egos. You might end up with the local police constable, a business owner, and a retired gardener - all different backgrounds, all wanting to learn and enjoy.
        In the end, it's about how to interact with different people and how to treat them. I try to treat everyone as my equal until they prove to me otherwise - ignore their title, their status, the list of things that people use to judge each other, and see them as your equal. It's also worth realising that the good parts of a population are those who don't spend their lives obsessing over how to beat/humiliate others, but listening, encouraging and learning.

…Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

or join the W.I. and bake cakes?.
          or the funny handshake club?
          or a golf/cricket/tennis club?

Comment

Originally posted by sadkingbilly View Post
            or join the W.I. and bake cakes?.
            or the funny handshake club?
            or a golf/cricket/tennis club?
            I wouldn't want to be part of any club that would have me as a member

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              I try to treat everyone as my equal until they prove to me otherwise
              Nah. I try to treat everyone decently, knowing that they'll never be as good as me.

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

A couple of magistrates court appearances boosted my confidence.

Comment

Had a quick chat to my other half about this. She works with education mental health in schools. If she bumps in to children who's daily functions are affected by anxiety, either short term situational or more of a their overall functioning they are put forward for CBT, Cognitive behavioural therapy.

I simple soft skills course like 6 hats, win win outcomes and the like won't work. You need to look at many aspects and change the way you think/act in different situations so bit more grass roots. CBT will help look at yourself, your environment, specific situations that cause the anxiousness and how to counter it in each different situation. It may even require medication but the CBT should help identify if this is needed.

I can ask her for more detail if you wish but she suggested looking at sites like Anxiety.org.uk, wellmindhealth.com, well-mind.co.uk and mind.org.uk
                  Any of these have a wealth of resources and each could help. Have a look around these sites and others like it and see if something clicks and one site suits you and progress from there.

She see's the impact of anxiety on the kids and regularly has to deal with parents saying it's just the way they are or they seem fine it will go away. It can't be seen so people, even those suffering it, don't do anything about it. Then there is the stigma of having mental health issues and denial. She says push through it. It can be debilitating and drastically change your life so take it by the horns and make it a priority. Don't sit there and say you'll manage it. CBT might appear noddy and waste of time to some but she says do it if you need to. It can (not always though) make a massive impact for a long time going forward.
                  Last edited by northernladuk; 30 May 2024, 12:05.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The main thing about CBT is that it offers tools to get through the issues you have, like specific things you can do if scenario a/b/c etc happens. This means it's not just sitting down once a week to chat and carry on like this forever (which is what a lot of people imagine when they hear "therapy"), there's a limited amount of sessions and it's all focused on how to handle whatever is bothering you.

Comment

or Cuervo Gold is an alternative. - works for me.

Comment

Working...
                      X