• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

starting my 1st contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

starting my 1st contract

After being a permi for 10 years, I have decided to get into contracting. Have got a potential offer from an agent for an initial work of 4 months outside IR35. Agency is pushing for their sister umbrella company, but I think its better to go ltd as its IR35.

-The client wants me to start from next week. Since its my 1st contract I don't know the steps. Can any experienced ones in here, tell me on what happens next and anything I need to be aware of? (contract review? etc).
    -I haven't got ltd setup yet, but believe it only takes few minutes/hours to get it done online.
    -Agent hasn't talked about the hourly rate since first time and the range specified on advert. Should I explicitly do that before offer, or see what he comes with?

Thanks!

read the first timers guide to the right ------->>>

then come back and ask questions. yes a LTD can be setup quite quick, but you don't have very much time considering you don't even know where to start (HINT: there's a lot more to it than just company formation).
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by londonrulz View Post
      After being a permi for 10 years, I have decided to get into contracting. Have got a potential offer from an agent for an initial work of 4 months outside IR35. Agency is pushing for their sister umbrella company, but I think its better to go ltd as its IR35.

-The client wants me to start from next week. Since its my 1st contract I don't know the steps. Can any experienced ones in here, tell me on what happens next and anything I need to be aware of? (contract review? etc).
      -I haven't got ltd setup yet, but believe it only takes few minutes/hours to get it done online.
      -Agent hasn't talked about the hourly rate since first time and the range specified on advert. Should I explicitly do that before offer, or see what he comes with?

Thanks!
      1) you speak about a "potential offer" but then say the client wants you to "start from next week". Doesn't sound right. Have you received an offer yes or no?
      2) the agent hasn't talked about the hourly date...doesn't sound right either. When you applied for the role what hourly rate did the agent put you through for?
      3) do you even have a contract?
      4) are you for real?

Stay permie.

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post

1) you speak about a "potential offer" but then say the client wants you to "start from next week". Doesn't sound right. Have you received an offer yes or no?
        2) the agent hasn't talked about the hourly date...doesn't sound right either. When you applied for the role what hourly rate did the agent put you through for?
        3) do you even have a contract?
        4) are you for real?

Stay permie.
        This. You've not got an accountant, you've probably not got a LTD, you've zero understanding of what you are as a contractor. You've zero understanding of IR35 which is extremely important and it's complex. You've no idea what to do with the contract, what to check, who actually signs and don't appear to be able to do the mountain of research you should be doing.

Start next week is far too early and you've no time to do it properly even if you knew what that was.

Aside all the above it's highly likely the agent will be using your naivety to absolutely pull your pants down but at the moment you've no idea if they have or why they are doing it.

Contracting is not something you can just swan in to in less than a week.

What are you doing about notice period from your employer?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

On the positive side, you’re going to learn a shedload of things very quickly. Just make sure that one of those things isn’t about paying less tax than HMRC thinks you should be paying.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by londonrulz View Post
            That makes no sense at all. You may want to keep being a permy, just a suggestion.

Good luck.

qh
            He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

You've made the mistake of coming to this forum and not understanding the etiquette required to deal with jaded old blokes (and the odd woman).

Comment

Originally posted by DrewG View Post
                You've made the mistake of coming to this forum and not understanding the etiquette required to deal with jaded old blokes (and the odd woman).
                because you have so much help to offer!!!

Maybe OP should have gone to a public school?
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I suggest you keep out of it. Someone is about to make a big expensive mistake
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

She's not that odd.

OP. Stay permie until you learn more and/or have a positive offer on the table, with a rate you've agreed to, with an understanding that you're probably going to end up inside IR35, and accept that you could be unemployed in 4 months or less.
                    Last edited by Paralytic; 7 June 2023, 12:45.

Comment

Working...
                    X