• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The demise of Jobserve/Total Jobs etc for IT contracts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hobnob View Post

This also overlaps with another thread:
    Indian recruitment consultancies operating in the UK - Contractor UK Bulletin Board

The recruitment agent has been calling me from a number in Poland, and doesn't speak fluent English. When I saw that the consultancy also has their head office in India, I wondered whether this was a scam (e.g. using me as an alternative to make their preferred candidate look good). However, since I've now had an interview with the "real" client, that seems unlikely. So, maybe the moral of the story is not to be too quick to write off potential opportunities?
    Is the agency Alexander Mann? They have a lot of staff based in Poland. When I dealt with them, it was clear to me that you are just a number or a cog in a wheel, they couldn't care less about you as a contractor. The Polish based staff did speak decent English though.

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
      Is the agency Alexander Mann? They have a lot of staff based in Poland.
      No, the agency is Ampstek and the consultancy is Mphasis.

Comment

No, the agency is Ampstek and the consultancy is Mphasis.
        I've worked with a client who used Mphasis a lot and I've had dealings myself with some of their senior people for a big outsourcing project I was leading.

They seem one of the better Indian outfits from what I've seen/heard.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post

I think there is a danger long term that contracts (outside of genuine arms length consultancy) and 'permanent' employment begin to merge. Certainly if you consider Inside contracts then it isn't much of a jump to FTC.
          Oh there is a hell of a difference - FTC has all the crap of being an employee without a permanent contract.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Oh there is a hell of a difference - FTC has all the crap of being an employee without a permanent contract.
            There are differences but without IR35 concerns you can go as native as you and the client see fit and don't have to concern yourself with maintaining a business to business relationship. The difference is variations in payment method and if you get paid holidays or not.

Then when your time is up you pack up your stuff and leave.

Comment

Aside from the quantity of roles being listed, I've also noticed that quality control is sometimes lacking at JobServe.

There was one advert I saw a few weeks ago, which mentioned "Cyber Centre Plus Certification". I assume that they meant "Cyber Essentials Plus". "Centre" and "Essentials" sound vaguely similar over the phone, particularly if there's background noise and the person writing the advert isn't familiar with the topic.

Today, I saw this advert:
              Project Manager- financial crime - Edinburgh - April-02-2023 (UyXe8) (jobserve.com)
              "The contract will be working to set up a financial crime, using 3rd party development teams."
              I hope there's a missing word, i.e. that's supposed to say "set up a financial crime unit"!

Comment

Aside from the quantity of roles being listed, I've also noticed that quality control is sometimes lacking at JobServe.

There was one advert I saw a few weeks ago, which mentioned "Cyber Centre Plus Certification". I assume that they meant "Cyber Essentials Plus". "Centre" and "Essentials" sound vaguely similar over the phone, particularly if there's background noise and the person writing the advert isn't familiar with the topic.

Today, I saw this advert:
                Project Manager- financial crime - Edinburgh - April-02-2023 (UyXe8) (jobserve.com)
                "The contract will be working to set up a financial crime, using 3rd party development teams."
                I hope there's a missing word, i.e. that's supposed to say "set up a financial crime unit"!
                That sounds dodgy for multiple reasons - one of which is that the most likely end client for that project has a moratorium on external development teams and contractors at the moment (unless someone is playing real games there).

also the rate is dire
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I just checked Jobserve and filtering out all of the irrelevant crap there are five contract roles for my skillset offering £700-£900 inside IR35 - reading the specs they all seem to be with 2 or three banks that are always looking for people with my skillset.

There is one outlier - a DV cleared role in Gloucester paying £750 a day which I have never seen before.

Total Jobs has a similar amount of jobs - Linked In looks the best bet.

Comment

The irony is after posting the original post I ended up getting a gig last week off Jobserve

Comment

Originally posted by JohnM View Post
                      The irony is after posting the original post I ended up getting a gig last week off Jobserve
                      No irony here. I told you in the 2nd post you'd got it wrong.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X