• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract or Perm?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    But when you were asked earlier about that, you gave your family 7 words (4 of which were numbers) and the rest of that missive were dedicated to talking about how financially wealthy and important you think you are.
    Got to admit that struck me as well but the thing I took away from that is that you (the OP) are very wealthy and top of list when it comes to security so you shouldn't be spending so much time worrying about it. I know it's hard to do, I'm the same. I'm very comfortable but can't let go and slow down. But never forget you are in the top few % of people as comfortable as you so try (if you can) take your eye off that ball and spend time on the bits you can't buy. You are your kids future is more than secure so try not to focus on that as much for the next phase in your life.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      I’m not sure I’d hire anyone who couldn’t make this decision on their own. It shows a lack of judgement, so I do hope that JasonP isn’t your real name.
      Not lack of judgment. It's called being torn between two choices. Lack of judgment when someone makes a bad decision such as doing something illegal. I haven't made a bad decision yet. That's the whole point of this topic - to get help so that I don't.

This might help: https://www.quora.com/What-does-a-se...judgement-mean

But thanks for your reply.

You're not banned.
      The profile is banned. Check again. This one is a temporary one which will be deleted once the other one is restored which I am in contact with the admin about.

Anyway, if it was me and I had 10 job offers for a job that was starting 3 days ago, I would choose the one that best fitted my requirements and lifestyle. The one that best allowed me to do what was most important to me. So maybe you need to choose one that gives you the time to work out who you are, not who you think you are, or who you dream to be.
      Your financial position, skin colour or gender ( https://forums.contractoruk.com/busi...ml#post1507118 ) might be important to you.
      Others will value time. Time spent with those you love. Time spent with children as they grow up. Time to teach them values such as honesty and integrity.

But when you were asked earlier about that, you gave your family 7 words (4 of which were numbers) and the rest of that missive were dedicated to talking about how financially wealthy and important you think you are. You can't buy your children's youth. If they grow up to be like you and you wonder where you went wrong, it will be too late.

So, choose the job that best fits the things that are most important to you.
      Then go off and learn about truth and integrity, learn about how to ask for and accept help. Learn how to say thank you. The kind of important life skills that children learn from their parents, if their parents have those skills themselves, or can be bothered to spend time with their children.
      I answered the question which was "Any family/dependents?" This forum isn't Mumsnet, and I have no desire to talk about my family here, especially to people like you. They are private, and you should respect that. And don't try to tell me how to raise my children. The only reason I work hard, and try to make the right decision is for them. Please be more respectful. Given the way you have bullied me the past week, I don't think you have any place to talk about truth and integrity. My job did not start 3 days ago because there was a an issue on my screening. Someone with the same name as me came up in the global sanctions, which was only qualified out yesterday - I will be potentially starting on Monday next week, hence this post. The timing of this topic should have indicated that to you - it doesn't take a genius. But of course you choose the most negative possible option when faced with something that could be a million different reasons.

If I will be teaching my children about wondering where it all went wrong, I will be referring them to you for making disrespectful comments like "If they grow up to be like you and you wonder where you went wrong". I've no idea how you became a mod, but you really shouldn't talk to people like that, especially when you only have a microscopic view of their life. You probably feel quite protected behind the anonymity of your computer screen. You have no idea about me or my life. Judging from my financial position and family life, I think you should be asking yourself where you went wrong that you feel you have to bully and ban people on a dying forum to make yourself feel better about your life. It's notable in the ban topic that you are pretty much the only one banning anyone around here, probably causing the forum to become largely unused.

In short, if you can't be nice to people, please don't interact with them. And that includes me. You're not helping with my question, you're belittling, and condescending, the very things I was pointing out in the posts that you banned me for. So, it kind of makes sense now - you didn't like those posts because they hit home, and were against the very behaviour that you like to conduct on this forum. Please just leave me alone. You caused the current situation which is now being handled by CUK director. Please stop making it worse for yourself.

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Got to admit that struck me as well but the thing I took away from that is that you (the OP) are very wealthy and top of list when it comes to security so you shouldn't be spending so much time worrying about it. I know it's hard to do, I'm the same. I'm very comfortable but can't let go and slow down. But never forget you are in the top few % of people as comfortable as you so try (if you can) take your eye off that ball and spend time on the bits you can't buy. You are your kids future is more than secure so try not to focus on that as much for the next phase in your life.
      I'm not wealthy, Andrew Tate is wealthy. But thank you. And thanks for your polite and considered reply. The question about my children is not the issue here. Whichever job I choose from #1 or #2, I will be giving my children the same time - both jobs are 40 hours per week with same WFH policy.

The only issue here is that everyone is answering questions I haven't asked. I know everyone wants to give their opinions on the choices I have even though those same people keep saying that they don't know enough about my situation and personal preferences to make a judgment (ironic, right?). But the only question I have (the one no one seems to have been able to answer yet) is this:

Is the net uplift I gave #1 because of the salary sacrifice fair, or is that really an artificial way of comparing. In other words, should I compare #1 and #2 on the basis of a similar percentage going to a pension, or is the way I'm comparing them OK? To reiterate the numbers:
      1. #1 is £760/day contract inside which nets to £8750 pcm via umbrella, but could net to £13,300 pcm if I salary sacrifice £8700 to a personal pension.
      2. #2 is £106k perm + 10% pension + 15-20% bonus which nets to £7300 pcm.
      I would really appreciate opinions on whether this financial comparison is fair with respect to the salary sacrifice inclusion.

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by JasonP View Post
        A lot of word salad I really can't be arsed to read.
        http://Payslipbuddy.co.uk can do those calculations for you but you can only salary sacrifice so much into a pension...

Beyond that meh, what you've written is for too long and you seem utterly unable to think things through and make a decision...
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I have 3 job offers:
          1. £760/day contract inside
          2. £106k perm + 10% pension + 15-20% possible bonus
          3. £122k perm + 3% pension + 15-20% possible bonus
          I read on GlassDoor about #3 a lot of people experiencing misogynistic, male-dominated, senior management political point-scoring, and even racist environment. This is the highest paid of the two perms in terms of base (not pension, though), but potentially a tough environment. #2 on GlassDoor has much better reviews - relaxed, good management, etc. But the 10% pension of #2 largely makes up for the lower salary. So maybe it's between #1 (contract) and #2 (perm).

#1 net is £8750 pcm. #2 net is £7300 pcm.

So, #1 (contract) is about £1400 more net if I get max bonus on #2, but obviously there's a lot of other benefits with a perm job that is probably worth a lot of this difference.

So, at this point, I'm sold on #2.

However, what makes #1 more interesting is if I sacrifice a lot of salary to a personal pension. If I sacrificed around half to a pension - that's £8700 pcm - I could net about £13,300 pcm in total. This now starts to make #1 seem much more interesting!

Is this the wrong way to look at things though?

WWYD?
          I'm never sure with you which is bigger your list of job offers, your day rate, your ego or your head.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

http://Payslipbuddy.co.uk can do those calculations for you but you can only salary sacrifice so much into a pension...

Beyond that meh, what you've written is for too long and you seem utterly unable to think things through and make a decision...
            That's incorrect. I've thought everything through, and I already used that website - that's exactly how I came up with the figures. And I'm fully aware that you can only salary sacrifice so much into a pension. Obviously, the amount I specified is below that maximum. Otherwise, I wouldn't state it. You weren't on the phone to PayStream discussing this with them earlier this week. I was.

There's only one thing I'm asking on this topic, and it's the one thing no one has yet seem to have been able to answer. And that is not how to calculate my net income based on salary sacrifice. As is clear in my posts, I have already done this calculation (hence why I used the word 'net' everywhere).

My question is, whether the net uplift I gave #1 because of the salary sacrifice is fair, or if that is that really an artificial way of comparing. In other words, should I compare #1 and #2 on the basis of a similar percentage going to a pension, or is the way I'm comparing them OK? To reiterate the numbers:
            1. #1 is £760/day contract inside which nets to £8750 pcm via umbrella, but could net to £13,300 pcm if I salary sacrifice £8700 to a personal pension.
            2. #2 is £106k perm + 10% pension + 15-20% bonus which nets to £7300 pcm.
            I would really appreciate opinions on whether this financial comparison is fair with respect to the salary sacrifice inclusion.

So, to be clear, this is not a question about calculating net (I already did this). It's a question about whether it's artificial or fair to make the comparison in this way, or if it makes more sense to do the calculation based on identical pension contributions percentage-wise. If anyone doesn't understand what I mean, that's fine. No need to answer it. But I would invite anyone who has made such a comparison before, and/or knows what I'm asking here to help out. I would really appreciate that

Thank you.

Originally posted by GregRickshaw View Post

I'm never sure with you which is bigger your list of job offers, your day rate, your ego or your head.
            Jealousy isn't a good look. Can you answer the question about salary sacrifice please? Thanks.

PS: No need for anymore sarcastic or condescending comments. They don't make me rethink my life choices as if you made better ones. You're just wasting your typing time. But if it brings richness to your life to belittle people on the Internet, please go to Reddit or somewhere similar.
            Last edited by Guest222; 5 October 2022, 10:48.

Comment

shame this isn't in General

Comment

you salary sacrifice calculations are wrong but your arrogance means I have zero interest in correcting them.

Oh and you're now added to my not worth talking to ignore list.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

In short, if you can't be nice to people, please don't interact with them. And that includes me. You're not helping with my question, you're belittling, and condescending, the very things I was pointing out in the posts that you banned me for. So, it kind of makes sense now - you didn't like those posts because they hit home, and were against the very behaviour that you like to conduct on this forum. Please just leave me alone. You caused the current situation which is now being handled by CUK director. Please stop making it worse for yourself.
                  Jason, you should read what you have just written. Read it out loud while looking at yourself in the mirror.

As others have said, your arrogance makes you a very difficult person to deal with.
                  I will leave it to one of the other mods (or "CUK director") to deal with you again.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

you salary sacrifice calculations are wrong but your arrogance means I have zero interest in correcting them.
                    The figures are direct from PayStream (their illustration) which is infinitely more likely to be accurate than you given that this is literally the service they provide. I know it's hard to admit when you're wrong sometimes, but try it - the zen can be so releasing! See below anyhow:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Untitled.png Views:	0 Size:	110.6 KB ID:	4235636

Oh and you're now added to my not worth talking to ignore list.
                    Oh I'm sho shad. ? ................... Sorry - just had to check I wasn't in a primary school playground. Probably best anyway as you don't seem to be able to answer the only question I keep asking.

Jason, you should read what you have just written. Read it out loud while looking at yourself in the mirror.

As others have said, your arrogance makes you a very difficult person to deal with.
                    I will leave it to one of the other mods (or "CUK director") to deal with you again.
                    I'm not sure where you think you are in life, or why you have this sanctimonious attitude that you are better than everyone else to the point that you think you can give life advice to people, but I would suggest you read the following out loud while talking to anyone in your current workplace (as if you're saying it to them) as well as the mirror, and see how they react:

But when you were asked earlier about that, you gave your family 7 words (4 of which were numbers) and the rest of that missive were dedicated to talking about how financially wealthy and important you think you are. You can't buy your children's youth. If they grow up to be like you and you wonder where you went wrong, it will be too late.

So, choose the job that best fits the things that are most important to you.
                    Then go off and learn about truth and integrity, learn about how to ask for and accept help. Learn how to say thank you. The kind of important life skills that children learn from their parents, if their parents have those skills themselves, or can be bothered to spend time with their children.
                    After they punch you in the face, and/or threaten to go to HR, you can tell them it was just an experiment, and explain why. But if you don't know how to talk to people, then I suggest you just don't whether online or offline.

All you do is bully people online, and cause virtually every topic on CUK to degrade into something to satisfy your ego that results in you banning them when everyone disagrees with you because you hold the ban hammer. It's not healthy, and only serves to corroborate what I said in my posts last week about why this forum is barely used anymore.

If I'm so difficult to deal with, why are both my career, financial and domestic positions better than yours? Who really is the problem here? I asked you to leave me alone, yet you just can't let it go, and have to have the last word.

Now, could someone please answer the question I keep asking? If you can't, no need to reply.
                    Last edited by Guest222; 5 October 2022, 11:27.

Comment

Now, could someone please answer the question I keep asking? If you can't, no need to reply.
                      I could, but i can't be bothered with your attitude.

Comment

Working...
                      X