• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A few contractor newbie question re tax and IR35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Neo View Post
    Try 5 job offers.
    Congratulations Neo!

Hope you choose the right one.

The new suit and haircut must have really worked wonders.
    one day at a time

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post

IB is niche, I've worked in financials and know how hard to break into it was, and also how taking a non financial contract puts you back to "GO".

It's tough out there for a lot of people, more so after Lloyds this week.
      All the more reason why it's a good idea I took the 12-month tier-1 IB contract which I start in exactly one month today and its start-date is almost immediately after my official end-date at Morgan Stanley. In relation to my other thread, I just this morning sent an e-mail turning down the offer with the government financial organisation, and from what you've said re "GO", that was a good thing to do. So, thank you for the slight more peace of mind as it was a difficult thing to do given the potential opportunities it offered.

Oh, and just to clarify, I was able to move into IB fairly easily from telecoms, so it's not that difficult if you have the right qualifications. However, I come across many people in my field that don't do the legwork and don't keep their finger on the pulse and don't keep their skills up-to-date. Therefore, they fall behind very quickly. I'm quite an academic and am passionate about my job, so I think this in itself keeps me a step ahead. So, like I said earlier, if anyone on here is an IT contractor, particularly in the .NET field, and are looking for some mentorship, please feel free to message me privately and I will gladly spend a few minutes detailing what's worth focussing on and what isn't.

Originally posted by stek View Post
      Hmmm. five job offers eh. Permie then, not the same as contracting.
      Actually, two contracts, three perm.

However, if you're implying contracts are more difficult to get than perm, then, in my field, you would be completely wrong. The reason I was offered a 12-month contract instead of a perm role at the role I am starting in one month at a tier-1 IB is because I didn't quite have quite the level of experience they require in one particular area and have said they will offer me perm if I brush up on that area during the 12-month contract (obviously, I'm aware, there's no guarantee in that 'promise'). That said, the contract rate they have offered me is certainly more lucrative than the perm salary they would have offered, so it's also down to my own preference as well.

The 3-month contract I am currently in have also offered me a permanent position as if perm is better than contract - I turned it down because the drop in money is not worth it by a country mile!

Comment

All the more reason why it's a good idea I took the 12-month tier-1 IB contract which I start in exactly one month today and its start-date is almost immediately after my official end-date at Morgan Stanley. In relation to my other thread, I just this morning sent an e-mail turning down the offer with the government financial organisation, and from what you've said re "GO", that was a good thing to do. So, thank you for the slight more peace of mind as it was a difficult thing to do given the potential opportunities it offered.

Oh, and just to clarify, I was able to move into IB fairly easily from telecoms, so it's not that difficult if you have the right qualifications. However, I come across many people in my field that don't do the legwork and don't keep their finger on the pulse and don't keep their skills up-to-date. Therefore, they fall behind very quickly. I'm quite an academic and am passionate about my job, so I think this in itself keeps me a step ahead. So, like I said earlier, if anyone on here is an IT contractor, particularly in the .NET field, and are looking for some mentorship, please feel free to message me privately and I will gladly spend a few minutes detailing what's worth focussing on and what isn't.

Actually, two contracts, three perm.

However, if you're implying contracts are more difficult to get than perm, then, in my field, you would be completely wrong. The reason I was offered a 12-month contract instead of a perm role at the role I am starting in one month at a tier-1 IB is because I didn't quite have quite the level of experience they require in one particular area and have said they will offer me perm if I brush up on that area during the 12-month contract (obviously, I'm aware, there's no guarantee in that 'promise'). That said, the contract rate they have offered me is certainly more lucrative than the perm salary they would have offered, so it's also down to my own preference as well.

The 3-month contract I am currently in have also offered me a permanent position as if perm is better than contract - I turned it down because the drop in money is not worth it by a country mile!

OK come on own up whose sockie are you
        Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
          OK come on own up whose sockie are you
          Neo's a hotshot. I don't know why he/she asked for any advice.
          one day at a time

Comment

Originally posted by oscarose View Post
            Neo's a hotshot. I don't know why he/she asked for any advice.
            Not being personal, but he comes across as a right tit.

Comment

That must narrow it down then

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

So do you - I've had to correct you several times now. And I'm a she, not a he! Another correction!!! Do you just make stuff up in your head and believe it?

To be honest, I think a number of people on here are up their own backsides and you only have to read this thread to see how forum members deliberately try to get newbies' backs up and then the newbie gets flamed for defending themselves! However, in any crowd of a given number of people, there is always going to be a proportion of keyboard-jockeying idiots - I can see which those are on here. As for others like northernladuk, Kelstar, psychocandy, Wanderer and Scoobos, I find you very helpful and constructive and a credit to the board. stek on the other hand just seems a waste of screen space.

[/Out]

Comment

one day at a time

Comment

So do you - I've had to correct you several times now. And I'm a she, not a he! Another correction!!! Do you just make stuff up in your head and believe it?

To be honest, I think a number of people on here are up their own backsides and you only have to read this thread to see how forum members deliberately try to get newbies' backs up and then the newbie gets flamed for defending themselves! However, in any crowd of a given number of people, there is always going to be a proportion of keyboard-jockeying idiots - I can see which those are on here. As for others like northernladuk, Kelstar, psychocandy, Wanderer and Scoobos, I find you very helpful and constructive and a credit to the board. stek on the other hand just seems a waste of screen space.

[/Out]
                    NLUK that has to be you

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

And I'm a she, not a he
                      [Joey from Friends]How you doin? [/Joey from Friends]

Comment

Working...
                      X