• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "A few contractor newbie question re tax and IR35"

Collapse

• Guest22
    replied
    OK, I'm back to the drawing board regarding getting an accountant. I was happy to go ahead with DANBRO, but following a phone call from them last week finally answering my queries after repeatedly chasing them, I've just been receiving lots of spam marketing e-mails from them, but nothing to actually deal with the handling of my accounts or my own personal contact to deal with which I understand I was supposed to get. Basically, I have no idea how or when my accounts are going to be dealt with. However, I do know what websites to go to for a contractor mortgage or to build a website to advertise my services... pfffffft.

So... Clare, I have decided to go with you guys if that's OK. Your online service sounds good - however, I would like to use FreeAgent for now and then maybe see what yours is like in due course - who knows, maybe they'll integrate somehow.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
    To Fred? It's short for Fredrica, so no problems with gender specific naming.
    I always assumed Clare was short for Clarence.

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
    Awww how can I be annoyed after that

Besides, it happens so often that I think changing my name by deedpoll might be easier!
    To Fred? It's short for Fredrica, so no problems with gender specific naming.

Leave a comment:

• Clare@InTouch
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Doh!! Sowweeee
    Awww how can I be annoyed after that

Besides, it happens so often that I think changing my name by deedpoll might be easier!

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied

NLUK - I'm not sure if it's worse calling me Craig or spelling my name wrong
    Doh!! Sowweeee

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Unless you are planning on having a gender change, I would say being called Craig would be more of a problem.

Leave a comment:

• Guest22
    replied
    OK, thanks Clare@InTouch - I know it's annoying when your name is spelt wrong. People often call me Ne-Yo (!!!!).

The thing is, I like FreeAgent a lot and would prefer to use it as it is generic and doesn't tie me in to a particular accountant should I ever wish to change. Also, it comes as part of and integrates with my Barclays Business account (MyBusinessWorks package).

Leave a comment:

• Clare@InTouch
    replied
    Originally posted by Neo View Post
    I've been progressing with taking up DANBRO's services for my accounting and decided on DANBRO over Nixon Williams and SJD on the basis that DANBRO are in the process of integrating their systems with FreeAgent, which I use.

However, I've seen InTouch mentioned on here a few times and the website promotes a very actively online service, which I like. Anyone have any experience or comments on them? Could someone from InTouch perhaps tell me how well you integrate with FreeAgent if a contractor is using that software?
    We can help if you use Freeagent, you just provide a log in for us and we can access it and advise accordingly.

However, our online portal is being developed and should, in due course, provide something that rivals the information you'd get from Freeagent. You could then use ours instead, saving the additional fee from FA

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I've been progressing with taking up DANBRO's services for my accounting and decided on DANBRO over Nixon Williams and SJD on the basis that DANBRO are in the process of integrating their systems with FreeAgent, which I use.

However, I've seen InTouch mentioned on here a few times and the website promotes a very actively online service, which I like. Anyone have any experience or comments on them? Could someone from InTouch perhaps tell me how well you integrate with FreeAgent if a contractor is using that software?
    Here is a link of threads where accountants have been discussed or recommended. Might help you find someone that is using someone you are enquiring about...

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...-requests.html

Claire from InTouch is online right now. Why not drop her a PM to ask.

Leave a comment:

• Guest22
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Jason
    replied
    Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
    Hi,

When it comes to an investigation with HMRC - if you meet just 1 of these conditions, they'll be screaming INSIDE IR35
    (what happens in reality too - not what's in the contract - it hasn't protected people in the past.)
    1. have to be in 8 hrs a day mon to friday, with a desk
    2. Use the clients equipment
    3. Get told what to do by anyone - e.g. "Build me a Video Rental Database".
    This is why when I was contracting previously I:
    1. Billed for deliverables not hours worked
    2. Used my own equipment
    3. Only did what was in the contract. For instance if the contract was to build a video rental system then point 3 is invalid

I also asked for any notice period on their side to be removed, and accepted the risk of rework at my own expense if the deliverables did not meet the criteria laid out in the contract or related schedules.

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Not me. I am a left tit.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Not being personal, but he comes across as a right tit.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
    NLUK that has to be you
    Not me. I am a left tit.

Leave a comment:

• JamJarST
    replied
    And I'm a she, not a he
    [Joey from Friends]How you doin? [/Joey from Friends]