• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract quietly expiring

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheDude View Post
    My contract expires the end of this week.

I have been assured by the agent/supplier that a renewal is in the pipeline but previous renewals have been completed weeks in advance of expiry.
    I would clarify now with the agency and the client. This sounds like you have a verbal agreement about a renewal, which means there will be an expectation you will be continuing. Verbal agreements are also binding. Normally you're informed when the renewal has fallen though.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

I always start looking one month before any end or renewal, no matter how nailed-on.

If you get left high and dry, contractors have no one to blame but themselves. You're much better off entertaining some Plan Bs you can turn down (or jump to!) than having to start the process from scratch on the Monday after you finish.
      ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
        I always start looking one month before any end or renewal, no matter how nailed-on.

If you get left high and dry, contractors have no one to blame but themselves. You're much better off entertaining some Plan Bs you can turn down (or jump to!) than having to start the process from scratch on the Monday after you finish.
        That is what I did and I managed to find a contract paying 40% more.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

That is what I did and I managed to find a contract paying 40% more.
          At which point - you should have told the agency that the renewal had taken so long you were no longer available
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

At which point - you should have told the agency that the renewal had taken so long you were no longer available
            It's not that straightforward. I was approached by an ex manager and the approach has to be formalised through the firms HR system which is why I waited - it is still not in the bag.

Comment

Then you get the stock line from the pimp:

"We assumed you were happy to renew...?"

Had that once or twice when I have gone on to another gig. You can hear the fear in their voice that they now have to explain to end client why you have gone.

qh
              He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Just tell agency and client your contract is up and you're not interested to renew. Should have done that a long time ago.

Comment

Originally posted by zonkkk View Post
                  Just tell agency and client your contract is up and you're not interested to renew. Should have done that a long time ago.
                  Never tell them early, it just gives them an excuse to terminate early (unless you want that obvs).

It’s normal for clients to forget about renewals, a simple “err, do you want me to come into work on Monday?” A few days before usually does the trick.

Comment

Working...
                  X