• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract quietly expiring

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract quietly expiring

My contract expires the end of this week.

I have been assured by the agent/supplier that a renewal is in the pipeline but previous renewals have been completed weeks in advance of expiry.

With three days to go neither the agent or my manager has provided any update and after Friday I expect all my access permissions will expire and that will be that.

Timesheets have been approved so I am assuming performance is not an issue.

I am not particularly bothered because I was not going to renew anyway but it seems odd to allow someone to just slip away with no discussion about handover.

Has anyone else experienced this and are there any clauses I should check to make 100% sure I am a free agent from Saturday?

I can only assume there has been a falling out between the agency and the client somewhere down the line.

Speak to the client directly, explain the situation, then hand over everything (hardware/knowledge/documentation) on Friday and walk away.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

It might be that someone has missed an update somewhere.

I would talk to the client and simply confirm who to hand over to / return any kit to. That might prompt them to check the renewal if there is indeed one in the offing.

The contract end date is the end of the contract, no notice needed, nothing else for you to worry about.

Comment

Ask whoever your contact is at the client if they are aware you finish on Friday.

Comment

Start planning the hand over, that usually focuses the mind and you'll know quickly if you are staying or not if they tell you who you are handing over too
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            Speak to the client directly, explain the situation, then hand over everything (hardware/knowledge/documentation) on Friday and walk away.
            It's as simple as this. I'd say start handover much earlier though personally.

Until you know otherwise work as if the contracting is ending. IMO you are in charge of the handover even if the client doesn't mention it. I couldn't leave a client without knowing the work I've done is in the right hands or has been completed as it should be. I hate seeing contractors just leaving or picking up from where a contractor (permie as well I guess) just downed tools and left. Highly unprofessional IMO.

I'll start planning a handover a good number of weeks before the end of a contract and if the renewal comes through I stop that and carry on as normal.

I also don't believe a word an agent says until I see a contract in my inbox so don't let their bluster detract you.

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
            Start planning the hand over, that usually focuses the mind and you'll know quickly if you are staying or not if they tell you who you are handing over too
            This as well. If you start planning early and make everyone aware of your leaving date be it a project or any stakeholder that might need you beyond the contract expiring it could help as they may apply pressure to keep you if they need you. If you want to leave then that's up to you but it's the professional thing to do IMO.

You might want to go now but leave the situation in the best possible way in case you get a chance to come back. Keep professional until the end and it might pay dividends further down the line. Be an arse and leave them in the lurch then your rep is ruined.
            Last edited by northernladuk; 2 August 2022, 13:45.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

It's as simple as this. I'd say start handover much earlier though personally.

Until you know otherwise work as if the contracting is ending. IMO you are in charge of the handover even if the client doesn't mention it. I couldn't leave a client without knowing the work I've done is in the right hands or has been completed as it should be. I hate seeing contractors just leaving or picking up from where a contractor (permie as well I guess) just downed tools and left. Highly unprofessional IMO.

I'll start planning a handover a good number of weeks before the end of a contract and if the renewal comes through I stop that and carry on as normal.

I also don't believe a word an agent says until I see a contract in my inbox so don't let their bluster detract you.

This as well. If you start planning early and make everyone aware of your leaving date be it a project or any stakeholder that might need you beyond the contract expiring it could help as they may apply pressure to keep you if they need you. If you want to leave then that's up to you but it's the professional thing to do IMO.

You might want to go now but leave the situation in the best possible way in case you get a chance to come back. Keep professional until the end and it might pay dividends further down the line. Be an arse and leave them in the lurch then your rep is ruined.
              yeah this.....

I start doing handover at 1 month to go. If I've been there a while I suggest that they need someone to focus on the handover full time for at least 2 weeks, or risk losing out on valuable information.
              Of course everything is documented anyway so they have that, but no f***er will read it.

I've rarely been able to do a proper handover, but I always offer. And usually get a guy for just 3 days without the relevant experience. But I try.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

I would talk to the client and simply confirm who to hand over to / return any kit to.
                This, especially since OP says he doesn't want to renew.

I'd add that OP is leaving it a little late. 3 days is not a long time to arrange a potential handover. I would have sent that email first thing on Monday morning to give client a full week.

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post

This, especially since OP says he doesn't want to renew.

I'd add that OP is leaving it a little late. 3 days is not a long time to arrange a potential handover. I would have sent that email first thing on Monday morning to give client a full week.
                  Were it me. it would have been last Monday....
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

My renewal is due in 4 weeks, but heard nothing so dropped an email, just stating the end date, to the manager. He thought the contract had another 6 months to run, but renewals are done by a separate dept, as that was what had been requested. More paperwork on it's way.

Sometimes you get to the end and they decide not to renew, some times you get to the end and they renew, sometime they renew and decide to give notice on the last week anyway. It just depends.

Comment

Working...
                    X