• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Overemployment / working two FT contracts at the same time?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overemployment / working two FT contracts at the same time?

Hi,

Gotten a chance to get another contract next to the one I have at the moment.
    Though I am considering this for the long term.

So I was wondering if, given 100% WFH, there are any restrictions in:
    a) having more than one INSIDE IR35 roles
    b) having more than one OUTSIDE IR35 role
    c) having an INSIDE IR35 role + an OUTSIDE IR35 role?

I think scenario a) is probably problematic just due to the tax code updates by HMRC?
    Scenarios b and c should be fine.
    Companies might say sth like you're meant to only work for us in INSIDE IR35 contract, but I imagine that is ignorable unless in finance...

Originally posted by bballer3221 View Post
    Companies might say sth like you're meant to only work for us in INSIDE IR35 contract, but I imagine that is ignorable unless in finance...
    If you’ve entered into a business contract with someone, it’s not “ignorable”, it’s a legally binding agreement.

Apart from that, the tax implications and the impact on your personal life of working 16 hour days, there are a few on here who will tell you to go for it.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

All depends on the contract wording, especially around other work and IP. My last umbrella contract had wording for these that allowed this (imo) but if I’d been taking another concurrent contract I’d have had a lawyer check this to be 100% sure. This doesn’t take into account the obvious of having to work around two clients at the same time and keep both happy! I was more concerned about my companies smaller sideline projects rather than taking on another full time contract.

Comment

It's really quite simple. If you're unwilling to be transparent that you have multiple clients and that you will not always be available for meetings or to solve problems and you cross your fingers and hope for the best, then you're a hopeless chancer. If, on the other hand, you have no problem being honest and transparent and all parties are agreed and this is reflected in the contracts, then fill yer boots. Being in business means securing as much profitable work as you can reasonably do. It doesn't mean being a shady cretin.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

If you’ve entered into a business contract with someone, it’s not “ignorable”, it’s a legally binding agreement.

Apart from that, the tax implications and the impact on your personal life of working 16 hour days, there are a few on here who will tell you to go for it.
          It really is ignorable. For the other party to take you to civil court they have to show not only that you breached the contract, but also that this has damaged them in some way.

So most of what is in the contract you can happily ignore.

Of course they might terminate the contract, but you wouldn’t be any worse off than if you hadn’t taken it in the first place.

I can barely manage one contract myself, but there are people who work harder than me.

Comment

Originally posted by hugebrain View Post

It really is ignorable. For the other party to take you to civil court they have to show not only that you breached the contract, but also that this has damaged them in some way.

Of course they might terminate the contract, but you wouldn’t be any worse off than if you hadn’t taken it in the first place.

I can barely manage one contract myself, but there are people who work harder than me.
            I'm not sure advising people to ignore legally binding agreements on the basis that nobody will be harmed by it is really offering good advice. There are enough cowboys in the agencies and umbrellas, let's not encourage them among ourselves.

If the OP is serious about it, he will have to satisfy himself and be able to satisfy his client(s) if challenged that he is meeting all his contractual obligations. that's not quite the same as ignore-it-and-hope.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Always bear in mind if you don't tell the clients you might get caught:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luBR_QK7z5E

Make sure you can organise your work and time so that you can satisfy both contracts, so that even if someone does find out they don't suspect you haven't put in the hours.
              Last edited by BlasterBates; 26 June 2022, 14:46.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by bballer3221 View Post
                Hi,

Gotten a chance to get another contract next to the one I have at the moment.
                Though I am considering this for the long term.

So I was wondering if, given 100% WFH, there are any restrictions in:
                a) having more than one INSIDE IR35 roles
                b) having more than one OUTSIDE IR35 role
                c) having an INSIDE IR35 role + an OUTSIDE IR35 role?

I think scenario a) is probably problematic just due to the tax code updates by HMRC?
                Scenarios b and c should be fine.
                This has been asked endlessly recently. Learn how to search the forums using the google search method. It's a sticky in the Welcome/FAQ section. Loads of long threads on this so many people won't be bothered to go through it all over again with you.

If you can't work out the pro's and con's of your questions then you clearly don't understand contracting properly. At the very least if you read and understood your contracts you'd know the answer.

EDIT : Actually, to add to that, looking that that title you are clearly struggling to understand contracting. Learn what you are and how you earn your money better and you might not have to ask such basic questions.

You cannot ignore clauses in a contract. You've signed and agreed to it. Would you like them to ignore the bit about paying you?

Details are in all the other threads but rule of thumb for me is.. If you can't tell both clients what you are doing then you shouldn't be doing it.
                Last edited by northernladuk; 26 June 2022, 22:14.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                  Always bear in mind if you don't tell the clients you might get caught:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luBR_QK7z5E

Make sure you can organise your work and time so that you can satisfy both contracts, so that even if someone does find out they don't suspect you haven't put in the hours.
                  Interesting outcome there. If you're good and in demand and they want you, then that will make a difference. As will the company culture.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by hugebrain View Post

There are many many contractors out there that thought they would never get taken to court.

Comment

Working...
                    X