• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hybrid versus 100% remote working

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

Because top end offshore talent does not exist at 1/10th the rate.
    Especially at 1/10th WTFH's rates. Even India has standards on how little it pays the poor.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

For those who have been taking these hybrid roles, how does it actually play out? Are the clients militant "Monday is office day" or do you pick when you come in? In practice does it end up that you WFH 100% once things are going smoothly?
      If it's one day a week do you manage to swing it you work a short day so you can travel from further afield and still keep the gig, or stay 1 night in a hotel, or does it mean you only take local roles?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        For those who have been taking these hybrid roles, how does it actually play out? Are the clients militant "Monday is office day" or do you pick when you come in? In practice does it end up that you WFH 100% once things are going smoothly?
        If it's one day a week do you manage to swing it you work a short day so you can travel from further afield and still keep the gig, or stay 1 night in a hotel, or does it mean you only take local roles?
        Clients can normally be flexible, once you have proved yourself.

I had one where they tried to organise all the face to face meetings into a 3 day window once per month, so plenty of time to plan. The meetings were Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday and you could travel on Monday and Friday during office hours as billable time. I normally organised my Thursday meetings to finish by lunch and go home then.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Employees at my client are adamant that hybrid is bollards and they're ignoring the rules. It's a great thing to see.

One day we'll ask ourselves why we spent so much money and energy on making sure everyone was more miserable than they needed to be at work.
          ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

I’ve been 100% remote for years now (before covid), and have been far more productive because of it (developer). I find it far easier to do a quick screen share and chat over teams/zoom than dragging folk over to a desk to squint at my screen or vice versa. Don’t miss the commute or rubbish client kit either. Been able to demo to dozens in the business across geographical locations without a problem.

I’ve still built good relationships, keeping in touch with many of my old clients for repeat work so that’s not been an issue either even when we’ve never met. I realise not everyone enjoys working like this, but it’s just my preference, so I stick to remote roles and ignore hybrid ones.

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
              Employees at my client are adamant that hybrid is bollards and they're ignoring the rules. It's a great thing to see.

One day we'll ask ourselves why we spent so much money and energy on making sure everyone was more miserable than they needed to be at work.
              Although a company where arrogant employees just decide to ignore what their employer tells them to do sounds like exactly the sort of messed up environment that needs a strong hand. Possibly to control the employees (it's not up to you to decide) or possibly to control whoever is making draconian rules for their own sense of importance and control.

Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Our company is taking a voluntary approach to the office, you can come in if you want to. As a consequence the office is empty.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  Although a company where arrogant employees just decide to ignore what their employer tells them to do sounds like exactly the sort of messed up environment that needs a strong hand.
                  This is the sort of role Priti Patel would be suited for when she leaves politics.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

This is the sort of role Priti Patel would be suited for when she leaves politics.
                    Oh god...
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                      Our company is taking a voluntary approach to the office, you can come in if you want to. As a consequence the office is empty.
                      Which is funny as my client has a similar approach and it's busy in the office Tuesday to Thursday with Wednesday being peak. My project wants people in on Wednesdays at least but most of them are in the days either side quite happily.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X