• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hybrid versus 100% remote working

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hybrid versus 100% remote working

I see many contract roles advertised as "hybrid" that require the contractor to work 1 or 2 days per week from the office.

I just don't understand that, I can do my job 100% remotely and there is no real need to go to an office ever. Why do employers insist on this hybrid working? The only reason I can think of is that they own expensive buildings that they want to fill with people so that they can make use of them. But even in this scenario, each employee that works from the office costs them extra money.

What are your thoughts?

Originally posted by achilles View Post
    I see many contract roles advertised as "hybrid" that require the contractor to work 1 or 2 days per week from the office.

I just don't understand that, I can do my job 100% remotely and there is no real need to go to an office ever. Why do employers insist on this hybrid working? The only reason I can think of is that they own expensive buildings that they want to fill with people so that they can make use of them. But even in this scenario, each employee that works from the office costs them extra money.

What are your thoughts?

Could be a whole host of reasons:
    1. Face to face meetings will provide better interaction
    2. Means you are committing to delivering for them, not juggling multiple contracts
    3. Lets their stakeholders see what they are paying for

If you don't want to have to do that, even though it was exactly what used to be the norm, then don't apply for the roles as you are unsuitable for them. It's not purely about office space.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

What are your thoughts?

I have been 100% remote since my contract started although my permie colleagues are working a hybrid model.

In my experience it is much more effective to lean over and ask a colleague a question or to demonstrate part of the system you are working on than do this over Skype, Webex or whatever.

You also get to overhear conversation that may be relevant to the work you are doing and ask to join in.

That said I never want to commute into the city again and will find something new if and when contractors are required back in the bank.

I would rather work away from home a couple of days a month in the provinces than commute a day a week into London. As such I am looking outside of financial services for the first time in a decade.

Comment

Or perhaps they think that teams work best if they can put a face to a name in person rather than over zoom? If you don't want to build better relationships with your clients then by all means refuse to turn up to the office. An occasional visit will help you get stuff done because there are so many things that a 30-second chat can resolve that might take longer over chat or require you to put in a totally unnecessary meeting request.

I personally think a hybrid approach works very well and I earned many brownie points with my new client by immediately offering to turn up to the office the next day to meet the person I would be spending most of my time working with. I turned up at lunchtime, went home at 4.30pm (at half-past boss o'clock ).

Comment

What are your thoughts?

The fact you mention employers means you're fundamental thinking is flawed. They are NOT your employer. They are your client. Something you need to learn quickly as it affects many aspects of your job. You are now in a client/supplier relationship which is different. Might be pedantic but getting it right will help you understand many things.

You might like remote but meeting people face to face (IMO) is still key to good delivery. Guess it depends what you do but I've felt a lot more ingrained in the team I'm working with after meeting them in the last few months than I have being remote with them for nearly a year. Personal interaction is still key I believe. Employers still have to consider mental well being for their staff and if face to faces still happen then nothing wrong with including the wider team, including contractors.

Even if they are using it as a check point to keep an eye on their suppliers and eyeball what they are paying for the so be it. 100% remote was a reaction to covid, it was always going to be something new after. It will never be the old days but it can't keep going as it did as a response to a global pandemic and a happy medium is hybrid. Might not suit you but you've got to get over yourself and think about the bigger picture as it's your clients choice. Right or wrong they pay for you and can dictate working methods with their employees in mind as well as you.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            Or perhaps they think that teams work best if they can put a face to a name in person rather than over zoom? If you don't want to build better relationships with your clients then by all means refuse to turn up to the office. An occasional visit will help you get stuff done because there are so many things that a 30-second chat can resolve that might take longer over chat or require you to put in a totally unnecessary meeting request.
            It is not really optional to work in the office. If it was then no problem but some companies make it compulsory. I guess I will stay clear of such companies.

Comment

What are your thoughts?

I think it's a fair ask from the client, for the many reasons already mentioned in previous posts.

It's fair for the client to ask for days in the office.

It's just as fair for the contractor to ask different rates for those roles; I've yet to apply for any hybrid roles but what I'm planning to do is let the client know that if they want me in the office then they'll have to pay X for the days I work from home and say X+100 for the days I'm in the office so I can cover the additional costs (travel, time away from home, psychological cost of having to commute by car or public transport, lunch and coffees,....).

Again, I've yet to test this approach and I'm not positive it would be a success, but if you don't ask you don't get.

Comment

I guess I will stay clear of such companies.
                Why? You'd turn down clients just because it doesn't suit you and you don't want to do what most of the world will be moving back to to some level? Sounds a bit silly that. Like people that are adamant they'll never take an inside gig without considering the pro's and con's.

Sounds very millennial to me.
                Last edited by northernladuk; 15 June 2022, 13:34.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

It is not really optional to work in the office. If it was then no problem but some companies make it compulsory. I guess I will stay clear of such companies.
                  More work for the rest of us, thanks!

Comment

Prior to Covid I did hybrid roles.

Some involved being in the office for a few months then I could work at home except if I felt I needed to come for any reason, n while others I came in a certain number of times over the week or month.

The point of me being in the office was so people could put my face to my name and vice versa plus have meetings.

Though I had a couple of embarrassing moments when someone started talking to me, it took me a while to clock they were the senior most person on the project and I had been talking to them daily for weeks.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X