• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice - no work to do, client sending me home

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cookielove View Post
    The issue was made worse when a contractor volunteered to take time off not paid due to this issue and that then extended to me...client said x is taking time off til this is fixed I think u should do the same...am not best pleased...
    Whenever I've had no work to do, I've always done the same as your fellow contractor. Anyway, they're perfectly within their rights to tell you to leave the premises until Monday and they don't have to pay you. It's called "contracting". It does you no harm (Except a small financial hit of course - but usually you get rewarded for professionalism).
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      It would be helpful if you gave a better title. You'll get advice no matter what so no need to ask. Give some better context in your title.
      Fixed it now.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Because inside is a tax position only in theory. It's possible it has all the pillars of outside but the client is too scared. It could be it's all the same except RoS for example. So it's still a T&M contract and the client doesn't need T&M today. OP needs to check their contractor but I'd expect it to be broadly the same. Regardless of inside or outside it's still a T&M contract so you still get paid for a days work and don't for no work.

I see what you are saying, and I'm sure many would agree but it's still all about the contract regardless of tax position.
        Fair enough - and it's a moot point in my case as I wouldn't take an inside contract, but some of the determinants of the tax position are the same - direction and control and MOO - if I was a deemed employee for those (inside IR35) then I'd like to be paid like one, please.

Comment

You could push hard on the "It's not my fault, give me something to do" angle and/or you could just bill for it anyway and see.
          You might be able to argue some sort of partial payment but that would come down to someone being reasonable because if they want to, they can just say "tough".
          It's a hard situation especially if you're inside IR35 but ultimately still part of contracting life. Negotiate the best you can.

How long have you been in the contract?
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

Fixed it now.
            You're the best
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              You could push hard on the "It's not my fault, give me something to do" angle and/or you could just bill for it anyway and see.
              You might be able to argue some sort of partial payment but that would come down to someone being reasonable because if they want to, they can just say "tough".
              It's a hard situation especially if you're inside IR35 but ultimately still part of contracting life. Negotiate the best you can.

How long have you been in the contract?
              Been there 3 months.
              The conversation was pre empted by the other contractor volunteering to take time off unpaid as we couldn’t fully operate. This set the bar so to speak ...it gave them the out to say ok stay at home cheers for offering. I was then told do the same ...they are not paying.
              it could be a while ‘til things are fixed ...?
              I need to work the other person apparently doesn’t need the £ ...there actions have impacted me rightly or wrongly ...we might have been told to take the time off but not quite so soon and may have been able to negotiate if it wasn’t volunteered so quickly with no thought ...

Comment

Look for another contract and if it isn’t fixed by Wednesday hand in your notice.

(The only clause I reject out of hand are no notice periods allowed, for this reason.)
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Thanks Cojak ! I think I’ll have to ...at the moment it’s day by day and gut feeling is Monday will be same message ...not fixed we don’t want you logging on ..

Comment

Is the client P&O?

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                      Look for another contract and if it isn’t fixed by Wednesday hand in your notice.

(The only clause I reject out of hand are no notice periods allowed, for this reason.)
                      I thought you'd gone permie? Must be out of date. Do you sign up for the tax indemnity clauses then?

Comment

Working...
                      X