• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice - no work to do, client sending me home

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cookielove View Post
    They don’t want to pay they’ve said if it is still going on next week may get something ...but no guarantee of what it won’t be a full day’s pay and won’t cover the days lost...do I call their bluff and say pay me or I am looking elsewhere ??
    Just look elsewhere.

Comment

There is no bluff - they won’t care. Hand in your notice and find another contract.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Cookielove View Post
        They don’t want to pay they’ve said if it is still going on next week may get something ...but no guarantee of what it won’t be a full day’s pay and won’t cover the days lost...do I call their bluff and say pay me or I am looking elsewhere ??
        Most definitely start looking. You've got nothing to lose. Two things could happen with your client. They suddenly pop up with work soon then fine or they carry this on for two or more weeks and you've nothing. At least looking in the mean time if the latter happens you're already looking. You have zero decision to make at this point as you've nothing on the table. Get some options and then make the decision. Sitting around doing nothing at all isn't helping you one iota.

And to be fair, you really need to be shot of this lot so get looking.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thanks all good advice ! Am on it....

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
            There is no bluff - they won’t care. Hand in your notice and find another contract.
            I would look without giving notice. They might sort themselves out before you get something, and if they don't they can't really kick up any sort of fuss that you terminate the contract when there's nothing to do. They might well be pleased.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

This seems to be a classic case of an unknowing client wanting a contractor, to treat them like a contractor, but to pay them as an employee with absolutely no clue as to the implications. And I am seeing examples of this ignorance all over.

Granted, we are in a sticky situation where no one, you the OP, go crying to will give a damn nor be able to resolve. From my point of view, if it's Inside, there is MoO and so you should be found something to do and be paid. If it was Outside, then there is no MoO, you suck it up and await something to do, to be given to you.

Otherwise, mention this to the agent as being 'four letter expletive', and start looking elsewhere today.

Comment

How is "there's no work you're not getting paid" being aid like an employee? This is a dream gig for a permie, you get salaried for nowt
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
                  This seems to be a classic case of an unknowing client wanting a contractor, to treat them like a contractor, but to pay them as an employee with absolutely no clue as to the implications.
                  They don't pay them as an employee, they get taxed as an employee by the gov so you are off on the wrong foot before you've even started.

From my point of view, if it's Inside, there is MoO and so you should be found something to do and be paid.
                  Well you would be wrong then. There are many reasons for being inside, the most usual will be RoS which never really worked in the old days of outside. Could be direction and control or it could be just the client playing safe and saying inside. The contracts will broadly be the same inside or outside as it's a tax position not a contractual one. Some elements will be different as they don't need to meet outside requirements but it's still a T&M contract for services and it's still likely to have the no work no pay clause. A client would be an idiot to leave that out even if it is inside. Which ever tax status it is, it is still a T&M contract. Got squat to do with MoO really. What you are describing is an FTE contract which is a whole different ball game.

Otherwise, mention this to the agent as being 'four letter expletive', and start looking elsewhere today.
                  A better thing to do is check the contract and see if it is in there, which it will be and carry on without being unprofessional.

And I am seeing examples of this ignorance all over.
                  Us too but we aren't looking beyond your post
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If you are not already doing so then start looking for a new contract What they are doing might be quite legal but it isn't on.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
                      What they are doing might be quite legal but it isn't on.
                      The story of about half my conversations at the moment
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X