• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Honesty is the best policy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If someone offers you a great opportunity and you're not sure if you can do it, say yes and figure it out when you get there.
    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
      If someone offers you a great opportunity and you're not sure if you can do it, say yes and figure it out when you get there.
      That's definitely my approach. Let them turn me down, rather than me.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I dont think the agency has done anything wrong - They have tried to help you which you should be grateful for actually - I wish agents that I use were more proactive and can tell me clearly the questions and answers that are likely to be asked at interview

You are well dreaming about the SAR request either.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

That's definitely my approach. Let them turn me down, rather than me.
          Mine too. Otherwise I'd never do anything new! Accept any interview and apply for any role.
          ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post
            I dont think the agency has done anything wrong - They have tried to help you which you should be grateful for actually - I wish agents that I use were more proactive and can tell me clearly the questions and answers that are likely to be asked at interview

You are well dreaming about the SAR request either.
            I agree with this.

The agent is a little cautious with the truth. So what? He's a salesman.

The agent clearly recognised the OP as being a good fit, but the CV was a weaker area, that maybe needed some help.

I have a pal who is an agent (not in IT), and he writes the CVs for his candidates as he wants to place them successfully.
            It's not uncommon for other industries. IT recruitment agents don't understand the technology well enough to do that.

As for sharing the other persons CV.... That's only a GDPR issue if the owner of the CV hasn't allowed it to be used for this purpose. Seeing as that person is likely to get to see the CV that comes in after updating, I would imagine they know what's being done otherwise everyone is going to look foolish.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Embellishment of CVs is actually quite normal by agencies, I've also come across it. The interviewer did't really bat an eye lid when he spotted an embellishment on my CV, and it probably helped to get the interview. You can always brush it off as a misunderstanding between you and the agency in the interview if a direct question comes in. However this may have gone a step too far. Sticking in an extra key word is OK but if the role has been rewritten that is probably is an embellishment too far.
              Last edited by BlasterBates; 3 July 2021, 07:57.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

You have all misunderstood my post.

The agent wanted me to say I had migrated a Solaris server in my last role.

At my last role they did not even have any Solaris servers.

My Solaris experience which I informed the agency at the beginning is over 10 years ago.

I have everything else the role asked for.

This was never about tweaking your CV to get the role. This was making up a lie. Which I still state is wrong.

Anyway moved on and put the agency on my personal avoid list.

Regards.

Comment

Originally posted by mallisarealperson View Post

My Solaris experience which I informed the agency at the beginning is over 10 years ago.

This was never about tweaking your CV to get the role. This was making up a lie. Which I still state is wrong.

Regards.

Then say you've done it and learn how to do it while you're waiting for the role to start.
                  ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by mallisarealperson View Post

Regards.
                    There is nothing wrong with it if you have the intelligence and skills to figure it out and do the job. Your moral stand point is holding back your career.

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post

Then say you've done it and learn how to do it while you're waiting for the role to start.
                      ^^^^^ I'd do this

Just make sure you learn any specific Solaris things that might different to other Unix.
                      ZFS/Containers etc.
                      Or as you probably don't know the details yet, you can always say "I've migrated Solaris but not that type/method etc." later.
                      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                      X