• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Honesty is the best policy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honesty is the best policy

Having been a contractor for 16 years and worked in IT since mid 90's I thought I had experienced everything with Recruiters.

So agent contacts me on LinkedIn. I was recommended by a colleague from an old role, apparently.

So I respond and after initial chat get put through to the agent at the firm dealing with the role, (high street bank)

After another chat all fine, a first stage interview is arranged to talk to one of the existing people on the contract to get a feel for the project.

No problem so far.

3 days and nothing else from agent. Then she calls me up.

Hiring Manager (inside role) would like to interview Friday. I am ok with this.

She then says client is picky and the previous two applicants the agent put forward were rejected. So wants to coach me for the interview??

Then says even though you have the skills they need. But that your more recent previous roles do not show this on your CV.

I say correct and that I do not lie on my CV. Have loads of skills but my experience is mostly one thing. As can be the case when contracting.

And that my last time using some of the OS they require was close to 10 years ago. (the role has a lot of legacy servers in it)

She then says we'll the guy who is leaving the project is going perm from contract, but staying at the bank. And they represented him when he was a contractor.

She wants to, "wait for it". Send me his CV and that I base my answers in the interview with regards my experience on his CV, not mine.

I told here this is unacceptable. And you cannot do that. I will not lie in an interview.

She mumbles something about GDPR.

I then inform her I have withdrawn my application and walk away.

I have not mentioned the agency here as a lot of this was a phone call and not written down.

But I was annoyed. Not had anything since last year. And have to walk away from a role I could have done. Because of a dodgy agency.

Not just the approach to the interview, but there is no way I am giving her any of my data (passport, financial details etc) if they are so gung-ho with how they secure it.

Is this more common than I realised. Sort of thing I imagine goes on in some parts of the world but not here.

I am tempted to issue the agency with a Subject Access Request (SAR).
    Last edited by mallisarealperson; 30 June 2021, 15:42.

To be fair there is a fine line between an outright lie copying his CV and the other side where you take his CV for reference to see what type of activities are carried out and you can bring those skills out on your CV. Doesn't matter if it is his CV or a well written spec of the role. Both can either can be used to totally fabricate your CV or bring out the skills and experience you have that is useful for that particular role.

Only you'll know the exact situation but as I read it on here it's quite possible they were offering it as reference for you to tailor your CV. If you have the experience he has then you can bring it forward, if you don't you just have to leave it off. The bit in bold can be read either way IMO.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      To be fair there is a fine line between an outright lie copying his CV and the other side where you take his CV for reference to see what type of activities are carried out and you can bring those skills out on your CV. Doesn't matter if it is his CV or a well written spec of the role. Both can either can be used to totally fabricate your CV or bring out the skills and experience you have that is useful for that particular role.

Only you'll know the exact situation but as I read it on here it's quite possible they were offering it as reference for you to tailor your CV. If you have the experience he has then you can bring it forward, if you don't you just have to leave it off. The bit in bold can be read either way IMO.
      I have left out some more to the story, with regards how the agent spoke. But I get your point about tailoring your cv for each role.

But I cannot say I did something in my last role when I did not. That is a lie.

Comment

I don't see what the big deal is.

Comment

Personally, I'd drop the agency in it.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

No topic to discuss. That means it's now Spam and a bannable offence?

Comment

No topic to discuss. That means it's now Spam and a bannable offence?
              I couldn't see the problem - here's the quickest way I can give you the information you need to potentially get your CV past the client so you get an interview.

Provided they removed the candidate's actual details I really can't see what problem is being created.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

I couldn't see the problem - here's the quickest way I can give you the information you need to potentially get your CV past the client so you get an interview.

Provided they removed the candidate's actual details I really can't see what problem is being created.
                I meant no topic to discuss because the OP has delete this original post now.

Comment

I meant no topic to discuss because the OP has delete this original post now.
                  Yeah go ahead and ban me if you like. I just could not be bothered with the discussion anymore, so deleted the original post.

Bit like this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by mallisarealperson View Post

Yeah go ahead and ban me if you like. I just could not be bothered with the discussion anymore, so deleted the original post.

Bit like this forum.
                    To be fair I thought it was a valid discussion. There is a line between outright lying and just bringing out skills you have and was worth of a thread and not everyone agrees where this is or understands it so would have had some interesting points.

Just deleting it because you can't be arsed with it is a bit...well.. meh.

Comment

Working...
                    X