• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Back to permieland - 1 month in

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A month into my new permie job:

Took 1 day paid leave to get p1ssed in a pub garden
    Took several hours as "out of office" 3 times
    Did no work
    Got paid on time

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
      A month into my new permie job:

Took 1 day paid leave to get p1ssed in a pub garden
      Took several hours as "out of office" 3 times
      Did no work
      Got paid on time

This describes WFH contracting for a great many people (without having to bother yourself with the day of leave)
      ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post

If you literally never have to think about them again, or be seen to do things to achieve them, then yeah, sounds like a doddle.

When I was permie and had to do these, they were always tied into bonuses, and promotions, and the whole politics of "be visible to your bosses boss, other teams" etc.

It's funny, but I hated all the sh!t as a permie, but I actually quite enjoy it as a contractor. I don't care about trying to be get promoted if I was a permie, but I do care about being seen as indispensable as a contractor.
        I've found that I can put up with a *lot* more crap as a contractor, than I could as a permie. I dunno - it's almost like having the freedom to just walk away lets a lot of things wash over me - if I'm feeling irritated, I just draw up my next invoice

I also think it's somehow different positioning yourself as a useful business who should be awarded more work, than being a permie sucking up to their boss. I suppose that depends on the relationship though - I find contracting has more of a peer-to-peer relationship. You've come to me for help, so it's a little less boss->subordinate, and more client->expert

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post

I've found that I can put up with a *lot* more crap as a contractor, than I could as a permie. I dunno - it's almost like having the freedom to just walk away lets a lot of things wash over me - if I'm feeling irritated, I just draw up my next invoice

I also think it's somehow different positioning yourself as a useful business who should be awarded more work, than being a permie sucking up to their boss. I suppose that depends on the relationship though - I find contracting has more of a peer-to-peer relationship. You've come to me for help, so it's a little less boss->subordinate, and more client->expert
          Permi equals short leash, they know you can’t afford to leave because you are barey paid to cover expenses. You have long notice period and most of the people actually decide to leave when the relationship is stretched to the maximum. If you have a mortgage as well they know that they have you by the balls. You also believe in all that personal crap, they let you work from home from time to time and do something wrong and blame it on someone else to get you some sense of entitlement...

there was an article about a manager that would never hire someone that does not have mortgage.

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post

Permi equals short leash, they know you can’t afford to leave because you are barey paid to cover expenses.
            Depends on salary you're getting and the day rate you've left.

You have long notice period
            I've only ever had 4 weeks of notice in ALL my permanent and contract roles also this point may be true for some, bulltulip for others.

Not much value in your post. Hopefully you're better at your job than you are as a poster

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Pay your first month in to another account. When it's in then set up a standing order in to your personal account weekly and hey presto weekly pay. Just have to not get paid your first month but then it's back to normal. Sorted.
              Genius

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post

yep, I agree with all this.

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post

Next update when I hit the 6 months mark

6 months of permieversary coming up. So far so good: still not bored, still not tired of it, still happy with my choice.
                  • Flexi time is still great. I clock in, say "hi" in my team's web chat, then go have my coffee and breakfast. I clock out only AFTER I'm all dressed up and ready for my daily jog/walk/bike ride. This way I manage to accrue at least 1.5 extra day of leave every month.
                  • Performance reviews are not bothering me at all. I have a monthly 1 to 1 meeting with my line manager where we speak about work for the first 5 minutes, then we move on to other subjects (sports/dogs/house renovation) for the remaining 25 minutes. In addition to that, I have a quarterly check-in where my line manager asks "are you on track to achieve your professional goals?" to which I say "yes, chief, no problems" and that's it.
                  • I'm on track to get promoted (with related salary increase) in the next 2-3 months.
                  • Virtual social events have dried out and I've been to the pub twice to meet my colleagues.

Anyone else bit the bullet?
                  Last edited by PCTNN; 9 September 2021, 11:21.

Comment

6 months of permieversary coming up. So far so good: still not bored, still not tired of it, still happy with my choice.
                    • Flexi time is still great. I clock in, say "hi" in my team's web chat, then go have my coffee and breakfast. I clock out only AFTER I'm all dressed up and ready for my daily jog/walk/bike ride. This way I manage to accrue at least 1.5 extra day of leave every month.
                    • Performance reviews are not bothering me at all. I have a monthly 1 to 1 meeting with my line manager where we speak about work for the first 5 minutes, then we move on to other subjects (sports/dogs/house renovation) for the remaining 25 minutes. In addition to that, I have a quarterly check-in where my line manager asks "are you on track to achieve your professional goals?" to which I say "yes, chief, no problems" and that's it.
                    • I'm on track to get promoted (with related salary increase) in the next 2-3 months.
                    • Virtual social events have dried out and I've been to the pub twice to meet my colleagues.

Anyone else bit the bullet?
                    Nice update thanks. Nice to see some measured feedback and is probably what most sane people would expect. Just proves to the permieland haters that it's possible to enjoy it and it's not a nightmare just because of 360 feedback and all that. Permie can be a perfectly valid option and not the nightmare some people make out.

Now hand your account in and piss off to PermieUK.com
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

9 months of permieversary: I gave notice

Everything was going well and I was happy with my choice. My team and colleagues were great, work was not so bad, I was working remotely so my work-life balance was good.

Then one Monday I come back from a week away and found an email from the Head of my Department announcing how management had decided to bring people back in the office for at least 3 days a week. Absolute nonsense. Time to say goodbye.

I updated my CV and started applying for jobs the week after. Starting a new role in a few weeks.

Comment

Working...
                      X