• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract ending can I furlough?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract ending can I furlough?

A no without the vitriol would have sufficed

No.

Why did you not ask your accountant?

Did you miss the Coronavirus section at the top of this part of the forum?

You also aren't employed.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

With the proportional furlough now available it is possible. You can't claim total furlough as you will still be conducting some work on behalf of the company (unless you and your wife don't actively look for work and just sit there waiting for it to fall into your lap).

Do check with your accountant but I do know people who have claimed, say, 4 days a week and received 80% of that four days (don't forget you still have to pay any NI on that).

The coronavirus sticky needs updating with the newest rules and guidance but many of the links may still provide viable information.

Comment

An arguable point but claiming furlough in between gigs when it is your job to be looking for work like any business does, particularly when you've been sitting pretty working for the year so should have a decent war chest is an absolute piss take. Assuming your wife is a tax mule and not a fee earner then to claim furlough for someone that is just a tax mule and does nothing for the company is just... well....

I'm sure others will see it differently but just putting it out there because it boils my piss.
        Last edited by northernladuk; 3 March 2021, 10:47.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          An arguable point but claiming furlough in between gigs when it is your job to be looking for work like any business does, particularly when you've been sitting pretty working for the year so should have a decent war chest is an absolute piss take. Assuming your wife is a tax mule and not a fee earner then to claim furlough for someone that is just a tax mule and does nothing for the company is just... well....

I'm sure others will see it differently but just putting it out there because it boils my piss.
          Completely understand your POV.

Also, your company name will go "on ze list" so everyone will be able to see you've claimed off the state.
          Last edited by ladymuck; 3 March 2021, 10:59. Reason: Added link to name and shame data

Comment

It's allowed and even written in company house guidelines:
            https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-not-employees

Of course you can only apply furlough to 80% of your PAYE wage from last year... which end up to around £500/month.

I can't see as being piss take because the contract market has became so tough this year. I've been on the bench forever and not being eligible for any support or benefit does relieve a tiny bit of pressure.

I'd be surprised if the taxman get to investigate you after you get few thousand out of furlough payment.. the cost of the investigator would be more than the furlough cost.

Comment

Originally posted by cwah View Post
              I can't see as being piss take because the contract market has became so tough this year. I've been on the bench forever and not being eligible for any support or benefit does relieve a tiny bit of pressure.
              It's a piss take as we are coming out of lockdown and if anything there are more gigs flying around now with the inside fiasco. He's not had tough year, he's been very lucky. Just the fact he has to ask 'Is furlough only for hospitality' proves he's had it so good. He's not had to take a blind bit of notice of what furlough is even though it's been around for 8+ months and is all over the news yet he has to ask a ridiculous question like that. The fact he wants to put his wife on it as well.

He should continue doing what contractors do, give it a few months and then start looking around at what help he needs. Not getting handouts for doing his job. If he needs something to tide him over he applies for a loan, not handouts.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

It's a piss take as we are coming out of lockdown and if anything there are more gigs flying around now with the inside fiasco. He's not had tough year, he's been very lucky. Just the fact he has to ask 'Is furlough only for hospitality' proves he's had it so good. He's not had to take a blind bit of notice of what furlough is even though it's been around for 8+ months and is all over the news yet he has to ask a ridiculous question like that. The fact he wants to put his wife on it as well.

He should continue doing what contractors do, give it a few months and then start looking around at what help he needs. Not getting handouts for doing his job. If he needs something to tide him over he applies for a loan, not handouts.
                This ^^^^^^^

it's in the same league as claiming JSA in my mind.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by cwah View Post
                  It's allowed and even written in company house guidelines:
                  https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-not-employees
                  Just to add it's OK jumping to the process but start at the top. What is furlough for.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/claim-fo...tention-scheme

If you cannot maintain your workforce because your operations have been affected by coronavirus (COVID-19), you can furlough employees and apply for a grant to cover a portion of their usual monthly wage costs where you record them as being on furlough.
                  The OP is not in this position. He's bench time has NOT been caused by coronavirus. He can maintain his wages and is continuing to work by looking for gigs so should not use the scheme ergo pisstake.

Just because something can be done it doesn't mean it should be.

Comment

CJRS shouldn't be the first thing you turn to when your gig ends and you've not lined up a new one. Gaps between gigs is a common occurrence, that's why you put money aside to cover them.

Comment

Working...
                    X