• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.

Contract ending can I furlough?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #11
    With any 'benefit' (others can decide if it is a benefit or not) I suppose the first question you should ask yourself is 'Do I need it?'. That said if someone is legally entitled to it they shouldn't be looked down on for taking it, especially as all of us will be expected to repay the debt over the next decade.

    Comment


      #12
      Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      ...
      The OP is not in this position. He's bench time has NOT been caused by coronavirus. He can maintain his wages and is continuing to work by looking for gigs so should not use the scheme ergo pisstake.

      Just because something can be done it doesn't mean it should be.
      Precisely. What happened to OP's Core values / the moral compass?

      Comment


        #13
        I've been contracting through my limited company for nearly ten years. I finished a contract in December 2019 and didn't work at all last year - there was simply no work about (or if there was, I couldn't find it). Is this because of COVID19? Well, it's the first time I've not been able to find a contract since I started contracting, so you decide.

        Anyway, I claimed through the CJRS from April to December and have absolutely no moral qualms about it. The furlough scheme is there to help businesses who have seen their income hit by COVID19. Whether there are decent cash reserves within the company is immaterial; if the government had intended that to be one of the eligibility criteria for the CJRS, they should have made it so.

        The whole reason schemes such as this have clear eligibility criteria and rules is to eliminate unresolvable, subjective arguments about morality and entitlement. As far as I'm concerned, I run my limited company as a bona-fide business. I jump through all the hoops which the government asks me to (running a PAYE scheme, monthly RTI submissions, quarterly VAT submissions, CT60, Companies House Confirmation, etc.), pay all the taxes I'm required to, and claim all the benefits I'm entitled to.

        Otherwise, where do you draw the line? I also borrow books from the local library. Should I stop doing that, and buy them instead, just because I can afford to?

        Comment


          #14
          I thought we were on contractor site where most people religiously try to minimise their tax pay - Therefore I would have thought the advice is if you can get it claim it

          Comment


            #15
            Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post
            I thought we were on contractor site where most people religiously try to minimise their tax pay - Therefore I would have thought the advice is if you can get it claim it
            But he can't as he doesn't meet the criteria as he hasn't laid staff off due to furlough. I don't remember this being a site where we advise people to take the piss.

            There is a process for claiming a TV and your Netflix through the company but that doesn't mean it's right to do it.

            If they want good advice on what you should and shouldn't do to minimise your tax properly stick around. If you want advice on how to do anything possible with no rhyme or reason then no, this isn't the place.
            Last edited by northernladuk; 3 March 2021, 16:44.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

            Comment


              #16
              Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post
              I thought we were on contractor site where most people religiously try to minimise their tax pay - Therefore I would have thought the advice is if you can get it claim it
              Just because you can do a thing, that doesn't make it right.
              Running a LTD when you're a bum on seat permie tractor was never right, and now thanks to those we have the current IR35 debacle.
              At least the loan scheme evidiots didn't materially impact those trying to run a proper business. Not that I have much sympathy for them.

              See You Next Tuesday

              Comment


                #17
                Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                But he can't as he doesn't meet the criteria as he hasn't laid staff off due to furlough.
                This is just total nonsense. The purpose of the CJRS is to prevent companies laying off staff (i.e. suspending them without pay, or terminating their employment). A company furloughs staff instead of laying them off. Assuming that the OP is an employee of his limited company, he (as company director) is perfectly entitled to furlough himself (as an employee).

                Comment


                  #18
                  Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  No.

                  Why did you not ask your accountant?

                  Did you miss the Coronavirus section at the top of this part of the forum?

                  You also aren't employed.
                  I should imagine that many contractors simply don't have accountants any more. Admittedly I only know fellow contractors in Banks .... about 15 of them ... all of them have no accountants (or soon won't) as they have already closed their Company or are in the process of doing so.

                  Comment


                    #19
                    Originally posted by CatBlack View Post
                    I've been contracting through my limited company for nearly ten years. I finished a contract in December 2019 and didn't work at all last year - there was simply no work about (or if there was, I couldn't find it). Is this because of COVID19? Well, it's the first time I've not been able to find a contract since I started contracting, so you decide.

                    Anyway, I claimed through the CJRS from April to December and have absolutely no moral qualms about it. The furlough scheme is there to help businesses who have seen their income hit by COVID19. Whether there are decent cash reserves within the company is immaterial; if the government had intended that to be one of the eligibility criteria for the CJRS, they should have made it so.

                    The whole reason schemes such as this have clear eligibility criteria and rules is to eliminate unresolvable, subjective arguments about morality and entitlement. As far as I'm concerned, I run my limited company as a bona-fide business. I jump through all the hoops which the government asks me to (running a PAYE scheme, monthly RTI submissions, quarterly VAT submissions, CT60, Companies House Confirmation, etc.), pay all the taxes I'm required to, and claim all the benefits I'm entitled to.

                    Otherwise, where do you draw the line? I also borrow books from the local library. Should I stop doing that, and buy them instead, just because I can afford to?
                    Very interesting CatBlack. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you manage to claim each month? If I were in your position, I wouldn't hesitate to claim either.

                    Comment


                      #20
                      Originally posted by mogga71 View Post

                      I should imagine that many contractors simply don't have accountants any more. Admittedly I only know fellow contractors in Banks .... about 15 of them ... all of them have no accountants (or soon won't) as they have already closed their Company or are in the process of doing so.
                      If you're closing down your company, you definitely won't be able to claim CJRS...

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X