• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting line managers to think the right way about contract renewals

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting line managers to think the right way about contract renewals

I'm on a contract where I'm actually concerned with a wider contract team, and it's going to be interesting over the next month.

Large contracting team, almost all of whom have a contract expiry end of FY, which is coming up fast. There are a lot of line managers, who have agreed in principle to extend, but that's all they've done. There's a process to follow.

All the line managers are permanent. They like having the contractors, but there's no empathy with how it works and some of these guys are thinking this is like renewing their car insurance. They also seem to be under the delusion that there is some sort of moral obligation to continue, or at least that there's a first refusal.

Anything to avoid being accountable for the risk. Meanwhile contractor morale is taking a nose dive.

OK it's a familiar scenario, but none of the usual encouragements are taking hold. Does anyone have any creative approaches that could be tried?

Not really. You're contracted for a period of time. All you can do is remind them it's coming up and that you have to leave on the day the contract expires, regardless of work outstanding. They don't have to know you have nowhere else to go - although a few broad hints that you have might focus their mind. I once dropped a manager in the mire with his management because he failed to sort out a renewal and I left for another role - although I didn't really like working there anyway.

At the end of the day you are a mercenary. As you say, concepts of loyalty and "get the job done regardless" outside the duration of your contract are not part of your ethos.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

With those sort of line managers, i'd be worried about any IR35 investigation. It's clear they think of contractors as nothing more than flexible employees.

I'd agree with what malvolio says - make it clear that if you're not renewed in time, you're out the door, that you don't want to leave them in the lurch. Within the last month, i'd be telling them that you've started speaking to other clients about your next role. If they try the guilt card, say your liability insurances will not cover you if you work beyond the contract so cannot take the risk.

Comment

I've read the post a few times and I'm struggling to understand what the problem is that you're trying to solve? You've thrown in things about processes to follow, contractor morale, line managers not understanding contract resource but I don't get what it is that's keeping you awake at night.

If it's the fact that there's 20 working days to the end of your gig then so what? Leave at the end when the money runs out. I think 20 days notice of an extension is a luxury and one I've rarely experienced.

Comment

Originally posted by CalmEddie View Post

All the line managers are permanent. They like having the contractors, but there's no empathy with how it works and some of these guys are thinking this is like renewing their car insurance. They also seem to be under the delusion that there is some sort of moral obligation to continue, or at least that there's a first refusal.
          And you think it's just them that need to think in a different way. I think it may closer than you think.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Some clients are good at sorting out renewals some are useless I've found over the years....

I worked for a big client for a few years. Always the last day. Twice I put all my stuff in the car and didnt come in next day (After multiple warnings). Sorted by lunchtime.

They had this idea in their head that I couldn't leave because I had to give one months notice as per contract. Just seemed to not understand that, yes within the contract, but once the contract ended it ended. I lost count of the number of times I told them this but they wouldn't have it.

Then some guy who was in the middle of an important project had enough of it all. Left on the friday, started another gig on the money. Management ringing around trying to work out where he was. I think after a few days they worked out they were wrong all along..... Cue some unhappy faces....
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
              Some clients are good at sorting out renewals some are useless I've found over the years....

I worked for a big client for a few years. Always the last day. Twice I put all my stuff in the car and didnt come in next day (After multiple warnings). Sorted by lunchtime.
              IBM were always guilty of this. I would refuse to attend meetings the following week when my last contracted day was the Friday. That usually did the trick, but they would cut it fine, always around 5pm.

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
              Left on the friday, started another gig on the money.
              Always start a gig on the money!

qh
              He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

The fact you are calling them line managers coupled with the fact you think they have a say in the engagement tells me it's not just them that are part of the problem.
                Last edited by northernladuk; 1 March 2021, 12:15.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Good grief

It's not about my contract. Perhaps I could have made that clearer.
                  So many people playing the "Line manager" card. LOL. IR35 is not a factor. Everyone is umbrella. Sorry if I missed some forum etiquette about IR35 status assumptions.

Yes I am a contractor with a remit for helping other contractors, but also for ensuring business continuity, i.e. that there is not a sudden mass exodus. My personal ship is in order, your wisdom is welcomed in inspiring managers to have better understanding of the contractors' lot, so I can help others. I thought this might be an interesting departure from the usual.
                  Last edited by CalmEddie; 10 March 2021, 12:12. Reason: Spelling.

Comment

I definitely didn't get any of that from the initial post. What exactly do you want help with?

Comment

Working...
                    X