• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client with Unrealistic Demands

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Client with Unrealistic Demands

So I'm working on a system that has had many contractors' dibs all over it.

I've been asked to develop a large piece of UI work to make a lot of existing features configurable. Unfortunately, much of the code isn't compatible with their envisaged design and to progress on my task I am constantly having to refactor / rewrite other components.

None of this was accounted for when the story points for
    the task were allocated but the timescale remains tge same.

Turns out that the client I'm working for is getting the work subbed out to them by another outfit that has the relationship with the actual end client.

Consequently the money is rubbish too.

Tempted to explain to them how much extra work I've had to put in bit I get the feeling they have no control over the deadlines so I'm going to have to walk.

Not a decision I take lightly in these times but what they're asking is, in my view, totally unachievable.

A but of a rant I guess but I'm sure we've all been there.

Have an internet hug
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Just up the story points - sorted

Don’t work for free

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by Gould The Swimmer View Post
        Tempted to explain to them how much extra work I've had to put in bit I get the feeling they have no control over the deadlines so I'm going to have to walk.
        Not a decision I take lightly in these times but what they're asking is, in my view, totally unachievable.
        High pressure work for low pay.
        Sweat shop conditions basically.
        Only worth it if you are picking up some good marketable skills that you don't already have.
        If you are going to quit anyway you could ask for a big rate bump, they might agree.

The biggest rate increase i ever got in one go was: 36%, £55 an hour to £75.
        I have known other contractors who got a lot more when they threatened to quit. But those were during the boom times.
        Depends how desperate they are.
        Last edited by Fraidycat; 18 February 2021, 19:14.

Comment

Death March Projects need to be assessed, to determine if the target is unachievable. After discussing it with the end client, they need to accept the risk, or you need to mitigate it by termination.
          I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
            Death March Projects need to be assessed, to determine if the target is unachievable. After discussing it with the end client, they need to accept the risk, or you need to mitigate it by termination.
            Given the OP's second paragraph the target isn't achievable.

Once you are refactoring recently delivered code you are in a no win situation.
            Last edited by eek; 18 February 2021, 19:28.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Who’s going to tell the emperor he is naked???

A professional contractor should..
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Gould The Swimmer View Post

None of this was accounted for when the story points for
                the task were allocated but the timescale remains tge same..
                Two issues there

1) Story points should not be "allocated" - were you not part of the planning ceremonies?
                2) Where is this "timescale" coming from? Sounds like your client/Project Manager/Scrum Master is doing some story points to time calculation, which is always a bad sign.

Your client is one of many who think they can get the benefits of "doing agile" by not fully capturing requirements up front, but then expecting the project to be run as waterfall within a predefined fixed time/scope/plan.

You can either change your client, or you can change your client.
                Last edited by Paralytic; 19 February 2021, 09:18.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                  Just up the story points - sorted

Don’t work for free
                  I'd suggest not upping the story points, but ensure that team accurately calculate their velocity before accepting stories into subsequent sprints.

The client will soon get the idea when they're told the team can only accept 1 or 2 stories in the next sprint.

Comment

Why not just tell them at the next meeting or even ring up the PM and let him know now, maybe they'll replan i.e. give up on the configurable UI.

Worth a try.

Either they'll believe you and replan or they won't and your project ends now.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                    X