• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Client with Unrealistic Demands"

Collapse

• quackhandle
    replied
    Good for you. Your mental well being is worth far more than a few grand.

Remember this is contracting, you get to reset and start again afresh with new work, deliverables, colleagues, etc.

This is one of the main reasons why I started contracting in the first place. You learn more with each gig.

qh

Leave a comment:

• Gould The Swimmer
    replied
    Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post

Well done. As contractors we don't have to put up with that crap. Take a break, destress and start fresh. Good luck!
    Thanks Big

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    Originally posted by Gould The Swimmer View Post
    I handed my notice and walked.

I thought the next ticket may have had more realistic timeframes but, no.

Broken stuff to fix and constantly merging in crap from other developers leading me to wasting more time trying to work out why thinhs are suddenly broken.

This made me very stressed and, consequently, depressed. Not even sure it was worth goinh through that for a few grand.
    Sounds like a good choice, but am interested, did you challenge the unrealistic expectations with your client?

Leave a comment:

• BigDataPro
    replied

Broken stuff to fix and constantly merging in crap from other developers leading me to wasting more time trying to work out why thinhs are suddenly broken.

This made me very stressed and, consequently, depressed. Not even sure it was worth goinh through that for a few grand.
    Well done. As contractors we don't have to put up with that crap. Take a break, destress and start fresh. Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• Gould The Swimmer
    replied

Leave a comment:

• BlueSharp
    replied
    or say the story is blocked because dependencies x,y,z have not yet been done. Would you like these changes covered in another story or up the points to do them?

Leave a comment:

• BigDataPro
    replied
    It's not client's fault, rather yours. Unrealistic expectations are everywhere. You seem to have a Permie mindset instead of Contractors'. You seem to suck up to everything fearing that your contract would be terminated.

If you believe you have necessary skills and expertise then Speak up honestly without fear and be ready to walk away. Otherwise do what you are doing now.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    Who’s going to tell the emperor he is naked???

A professional contractor should..
    ...just before they hand in their notice and walk.

(Been there, done that.)

My mental health was more important than proving to them that I was right.

Thomas Cook, I can’t look at you now ‘cos you went down the pan. But I’m not in the least bit surprised that you did.

Leave a comment:

• courtg9000
    replied
    Looks like the client from hell with the client from hell.
    I have been here a few times.

There are only really a few options with clients from hell.

1) suck it up
    2) Tell the client where to go and go and get another contract
    3) Hold the client to ransom
    4) if you are client to client you could try finding out how much of a pain the end client is and if they are not complete b'stads like your first client line sell the second client your services direct. It depends how hot you are on sales. Warning this can back fire as the second client might come across as nice as pie and turn turn out to be worse than client 1.

Option one can have an effect on mental health. Option 3 &4 are very high risk.

Leave a comment:

• Gould The Swimmer
    replied
    Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
    Two issues there

1) Story points should not be "allocated" - were you not part of the planning ceremonies?
    2) Where is this "timescale" coming from? Sounds like your client/Project Manager/Scrum Master is doing some story points to time calculation, which is always a bad sign.

Your client is one of many who think they can get the benefits of "doing agile" by not fully capturing requirements up front, but then expecting the project to be run as waterfall within a predefined fixed time/scope/plan.

You can either change your client, or you can change your client.
    Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    Just up the story points - sorted

Don’t work for free

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
    I wasn't there when this story was scoped out.

I know the numbers are relative but expecting me to deliver a 21 pointer on my first week on the project is unrealistic in itself. But add all the unforeseen bits I've had to refactor and delays from the environment being in a state of flux without being cut any slack and I'd say I'm up sh!t creek without a paddle.

Bottom line is, their client has said jump and I'm being made to jump.

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Tempted to explain to them how much extra work I've had to put in bit I get the feeling they have no control over the deadlines so I'm going to have to walk.

Not a decision I take lightly in these times but what they're asking is, in my view, totally unachievable.
    Or you could professionally point out to them the various things you have to do, and whenever you accept a task, make it clear when you think you will finish. If this is longer than the time allocated, so be it. When someone complains, point out the various things again. Rinse, repeat.

You'll either be allowed to keep going, or you won't, and you'll be out the door anyway. No reason to quit yet.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Why not just tell them at the next meeting or even ring up the PM and let him know now, maybe they'll replan i.e. give up on the configurable UI.

Worth a try.

Either they'll believe you and replan or they won't and your project ends now.

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    Just up the story points - sorted

Don’t work for free
    I'd suggest not upping the story points, but ensure that team accurately calculate their velocity before accepting stories into subsequent sprints.

The client will soon get the idea when they're told the team can only accept 1 or 2 stories in the next sprint.

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied

None of this was accounted for when the story points for
    the task were allocated but the timescale remains tge same..
    Two issues there

1) Story points should not be "allocated" - were you not part of the planning ceremonies?
    2) Where is this "timescale" coming from? Sounds like your client/Project Manager/Scrum Master is doing some story points to time calculation, which is always a bad sign.

Your client is one of many who think they can get the benefits of "doing agile" by not fully capturing requirements up front, but then expecting the project to be run as waterfall within a predefined fixed time/scope/plan.

You can either change your client, or you can change your client.
    Last edited by Paralytic; 19 February 2021, 09:18.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Who’s going to tell the emperor he is naked???

A professional contractor should..

Leave a comment:

Working...
X