• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bloody hell, why is there a dick battle in every bloody topic recently?

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post
      Bloody hell, why is there a dick battle in every bloody topic recently?
      because there are a set of posters attacking the post and not considering the point being raised.

I can see both points here - I picked up a whole pile of issues that become a priority 1 issues on Friday and I usually do set and plan my own work (within reason). But the issues on Friday meant I dropped what I was planning to do and fixed the issues at hand - because if I didn't it would have been an even bigger mess today / tomorrow.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Incognito View Post

What if you get given the work in the morning and the deadline is today. Happened to me loads of times.
        It has literally never happened to me that I have been handed work that needed to be finished that day that couldn't be done in a matter of hours, although I appreciate that is only one person's experience.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

because there are a set of posters attacking the post and not considering the point being raised.

I can see both points here - I picked up a whole pile of issues that become a priority 1 issues on Friday and I usually do set and plan my own work (within reason). But the issues on Friday meant I dropped what I was planning to do and fixed the issues at hand - because if I didn't it would have been an even bigger mess today / tomorrow.
          I must have been really lucky during my career as while I have had to work more intensely towards the end of a project I have never really had to burn the midnight oil.

Ss for changing priorities, I tend to work on one project and so don't get involved in live support.

Comment

I feel I need to caveat every post with the disclaimer 'I have never worked in the City', which I am increasingly convinced is an entirely different world to the rest of the IT industry.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
              I feel I need to caveat every post with the disclaimer 'I have never worked in the City', which I am increasingly convinced is an entirely different world to the rest of the IT industry.
              Genuine question - why do you working in the city is different to the rest of the IT industry?

*I have worked my entire career in the city bar my first job in defence with Logica and two years at a US healthcare technology and clinical trials company.

Comment

Originally posted by DrewG View Post

Why would you be "given" work?

You're supposed to be a senior professional, not a fresh grad.

I can't imagine hiring someone for 600 - 1000 /pd then telling them exactly what to do.
                I was recruited as a senior professional - turns out I am assigned Jiras in two weekly sprints just like everyone else.

The rate is decent so I am not bothered about my lack of autonomy.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

I was recruited as a senior professional - turns out I am assigned Jiras in two weekly sprints just like everyone else.
                  If you're being "assigned JIRA's" in sprints, someone is playing at Scrum.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

If you're being "assigned JIRA's" in sprints, someone is playing at Scrum.
                    It works for them and I have an easy life.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

Genuine question - why do you working in the city is different to the rest of the IT industry?

*I have worked my entire career in the city bar my first job in defence with Logica and two years at a US healthcare technology and clinical trials company.
                      I've done both - no difference IME. I think some just like the sound of saying they work "in the city" as if it attracts some addiitonal kudos.

(I would say that some industries may have higher pressure, eg, investment banking, but that is not because its in the city, but because of the environment. eg, the same gig in Edinburgh might have the same pressures)

Comment

Working...
                      X