• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KinooOrKinog View Post
    I've now been very actively looking for three months with no success. I've had interviews
    How have things been for you the last two weeks, have you had any more interviews recently or many agent calls, i ask because the market seems to have gotten even quieter after the bank failures and it was already slow before that.
    Last edited by Fraidycat; 30 March 2023, 13:04.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post

Unless you have some seriously in demand skills I would recommend smiling sweetly and keep billing.
      I do.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

How have things been for you the last two weeks, have you had any more interviews recently or many agent calls, i ask because the market seems to have gotten even quieter after the bank failures and it was already slow before that.
        In the last two weeks I've had nine applications and two interviews. And about half of those were around £100 a day less than what I would normally be on. I feel there doesn't seem to be a huge drop in the number of roles out there, but the number of candidates on the market I think is higher.
        If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

Comment

I think some of the Indian tech consultancies are taking a lot of the roles that contractors would normally be earmarked for
          They then ship in large numbers of consultants at low ish rates and it is hard to compete for UK based guys

Then you have the UK based tech consultants with strong relationships with the clients

Between those consultancies there are not many roles going unless you have contacts. A very tough market.

The old agencies (e.g. Morgan McKinley, Robert Waters) are fighting for scraps.

Comment

no calls to report from the burner phone this week.

we saw what the bottom looked like when covid hit, we are not anywhere near that bad right now but we desperately need some sort of bounce.

everyone is going to suffer if this continues, more end-clients that can't really afford it will just end up having to pay <insert consultancy here> 1650 per day for people straight out of uni. if the agencies *and* the remaining freelance contractors that are over 40 Years old go and do something else or, go bust.

And the government is puzzled as to why the over 50's are not coming back to work..........

What a bleak outlook.

Comment

Where I'm currently contracting, they just started looking for two backend Python contractors outside IR35. I just wanted to share some positive news, even though that's a drop in the ocean.

Comment

Originally posted by hungry_hog View Post
                I think some of the Indian tech consultancies are taking a lot of the roles that contractors would normally be earmarked for
                They then ship in large numbers of consultants at low ish rates and it is hard to compete for UK based guys

Then you have the UK based tech consultants with strong relationships with the clients

Between those consultancies there are not many roles going unless you have contacts. A very tough market.

The old agencies (e.g. Morgan McKinley, Robert Waters) are fighting for scraps.
                My last few contracts have come through small British based consultancies who build relationships with similarly sized clients. They do seem to be the most likely path back in for me at the moment but even they are hunting for work.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluenose View Post
                  no calls to report from the burner phone this week.

we saw what the bottom looked like when covid hit, we are not anywhere near that bad right now but we desperately need some sort of bounce.

everyone is going to suffer if this continues, more end-clients that can't really afford it will just end up having to pay 1650 per day for people straight out of uni. if the agencies *and* the remaining freelance contractors that are over 40 Years old go and do something else or, go bust.

And the government is puzzled as to why the over 50's are not coming back to work..........

What a bleak outlook.
                  I have a few contracts with clients in the EU, both in separate countries and the story is the same there and we've all seen the slaughter in Silicon Valley, this is a global issue, a consequence of market forces - not one individual government. Probably recoil from the market distortion created by govs in relation to covid, the war in Ukraine doesn't help. We do have some local issues, ridiculously high tax for the middle class and IR35, but remember most EU countries have had aggressive anti-permie-in-disguise laws before IR35 was a thing here.

Comment

Offshoring in Dev and Test has been going on for a while now as we all know, however in my last contract I was the only onshore contract BA. They had a team of BA's in Moldova, and a team of perms in UK. So offshore working is clearly impacting the BA roles these days.

I have a second interview for a role next week, which will require me to be onsite 2 days a week, and also out to a few different locations, so at least that cannot be done offshore/nearshore.

In terms of available BA contracts things do seem to have picked up somewhat in that last week.
                    Last edited by LadyPenelope; 31 March 2023, 10:43.

Comment

I scanned the market for a couple of days last week while waiting to hear if the current contract would be extended (it did) and at least in my area (mid-level tech project and change management with only very superficial tech knowledge) the number of roles available out there seemed pretty healthy, as long as one doesn't completely dismiss inside-IR35 roles.

Having said that, a lot of the LinkedIn advertised contractor roles seem to attract a huge number of applications (it shows the number that have applied), not sure if that's a true reflection of genuinely qualified applicants out there or it's a lot of people applying because it's a click-click-done thing on LinkedIn.

I'm doing everything I can get my hands on at the moment though - a full time inside-IR35 contract, a small fixed-price consultancy job and one day a week programme management for an old SME client of mine. Exhausting work 7 days a week but (at least at the moment) I am planning to take time off over the summer.

Comment

Working...
                      X