• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bluenose View Post

I don't know about recruitment specifically but if you search for 'layoffs' in linkedin and filter it to show posts less than a month old, it is sombre reading.
    Ok I searched "layoffs" and then filtered to the past month and the top stories are about Amazon and Facebook, Meta:

"Amazon just announced it will fire 9,000 workers. This brings its total for the year up to 27,000." https://www.linkedin.com/posts/racha...74772736-aDK1/

"My heart goes with all the talented people recently affected by the third round of layoffs at Meta. stay strong " https://www.linkedin.com/posts/sandr...81219585-w2QV/

So nothing really in there that is about recruitment agents or agencies. ICBSOYP.

Comment

Originally posted by rocktronAMP View Post

So nothing really in there that is about recruitment agents or agencies. ICBSOYP.
      Filter by industry, add recruitment.

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/laura...member_desktop

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/activ...member_desktop

Comment

So they are getting rid of people who are about to have a baby or have one.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by mem80 View Post
          Based on the past market downs - how do you predict? when the contractor market is going to bounce back?
          If i recall the downturn in 2001, started middle of 2001, the market was already bad before 9/11 and got even worse after, that slow down lasted about two years.

That would suggest Q2 of 2024 being the end of this downturn.

But like someone posted above, we never had 10% inflation back then. If inflation doesn't come back down soon in the UK, we will be in trouble all of next year as well.
          Last edited by Fraidycat; 19 April 2023, 20:15.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

So they are getting rid of people who are about to have a baby or have one.
            They were just examples towards the top of the feed to demonstrate the filter you need.

Comment

Well it took six months but I start a new contract on Monday. Actually the best paid one I have ever had, so can make up for a bit of lost time, and is scheduled for six months so hopefully things improve for next time I am looking.

Can't really offer any advice apart from using your network and keeping going.

Good luck people.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
                Well it took six months but I start a new contract on Monday. Actually the best paid one I have ever had, so can make up for a bit of lost time, and is scheduled for six months so hopefully things improve for next time I am looking.

Can't really offer any advice apart from using your network and keeping going.

Good luck people.
                Congratulations Seagull.

Comment

Managed to escape a death march gig and with breadcrumbs for outside IR35 contracts atm so I'm going down the route applying for permie work - kicking myself that I might have to close down my LTD as I had a good run with it but the thought of dealing with brollies again has put me off.

Btw SussexSeagull well done mate - time on the bench for that long isn't nice but you got through

Comment

Finally got round to duffing up my CV as i hate my current gig, then had a look on JobServe

Holy mother of Mary it's utterly dead

Comment

Originally posted by Robinho View Post
                      Finally got round to duffing up my CV as i hate my current gig, then had a look on JobServe

Holy mother of Mary it's utterly dead
                      And yet nothing on the bbc ...
                      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Working...
                      X