• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
    I love the way people who can no longer hack it in the contractor world, post about how happy they are back in permie land, citing examples of advantages as if to try and convince themselves. See loads of this on LinkedIn as well. YOU'RE FOOLING NOBODY! Lol.
    Trust me, I don't miss living out of a suitcase. Thanks for your disbelief, but trust me, I'm very happy in my current job right now. It's a small consultancy with no HR department, which probably explains the glee.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
      Trust me, I don't miss living out of a suitcase. Thanks for your disbelief, but trust me, I'm very happy in my current job right now. It's a small consultancy with no HR department, which probably explains the glee.
      so, how come you're still on here then, 2 years later?

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
        I reckon anyone who's cutting now and getting into a permanent really isn't cut out for the "changing environment" nature of being a contractor. Unless it really is do-or-die stuff, seems a bit early to throw in the towel.
        Originally posted by oliverson View Post
        I love the way people who can no longer hack it in the contractor world, post about how happy they are back in permie land, citing examples of advantages as if to try and convince themselves. See loads of this on LinkedIn as well. YOU'RE FOOLING NOBODY! Lol.
        It's interesting how a lot more of this attitude is starting to surface!

Everyone's going to interpret market trends differently but one common trait I've observed in all good business owners (not all business owners!) is the ability to be dynamic enough to adapt, make decisions, stick and move. A lot of contractors (including myself) have been through spells of the market being quiet. Whatever the reason, whether seasonal, the initial IR35 hype, whatever - we've all been there when the market's quiet and it's looking a bit more of a push than usual and I would agree in those instances that throwing in the towel's a case of holding less nerve than what's needed to run a business.

However, this time it's different - and it's very unfortunate. If some contractors want to stick around and keep the faith in the contractor market and remain loyal, I genuinely wish you all of the best - but I'd like to think I'm dynamic enough to (very reluctantly) come to terms with the likelihood of what next year looks like and leave contracting (for however long it takes) if it means I can continue living comfortably and, more importantly, not have some dependency on the market magically sorting itself out. Just look at the posts on this thread reporting on the 'state of the market'. It's not looking good, you know that really.

Comment

Originally posted by DevUK View Post

Everyone's going to interpret market trends differently but one common trait I've observed in all good business owners (not all business owners!) is the ability to be dynamic enough to adapt, make decisions, stick and move. A lot of contractors (including myself) have been through spells of the market being quiet. Whatever the reason, whether seasonal, the initial IR35 hype, whatever - we've all been there when the market's quiet and it's looking a bit more of a push than usual and I would agree in those instances that throwing in the towel's a case of holding less nerve than what's needed to run a business.

However, this time it's different - and it's very unfortunate. If some contractors want to stick around and keep the faith in the contractor market and remain loyal, I genuinely wish you all of the best - but I'd like to think I'm dynamic enough to (very reluctantly) come to terms with the likelihood of what next year looks like and leave contracting (for however long it takes) if it means I can continue living comfortably and, more importantly, not have some dependency on the market magically sorting itself out. Just look at the posts on this thread reporting on the 'state of the market'. It's not looking good, you know that really.
          Ok look if I could just drive the bus for a second - being an IT contractor...

Its dead
          Its dead
          Its totally dead
          Its dead?
          Its dead

YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by DevUK View Post

Ok look if I could just drive the bus for a second - being an IT contractor...

Its dead
            Its dead
            Its totally dead
            Its dead?
            Its dead

YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by madame SasGuru View Post
              Panic early and beat the rush - came April there could be 100s more applying for the job
              Indeed. I contracted since 2004 but just started perm in January. Few roles doing what I do as a contractor, fed up with the uncertainty of the IR35 position, fed up with Quickbooks and MTD aka Big Brother is watching you and how much hassle running a Ltd seems to be these days.

Monday mornings are tough, if I'm honest. In another market I wouldn't have done this job but at least the people are friendly and it's not too bad on the cv as in line with what I do, more or less.

We had an awful Escape Room team bonding thing the other week. Everyone else just loved it though. Unfathomable.

Comment

Originally posted by LadyPenelope View Post
                Indeed. I contracted since 2004 but just started perm in January. Few roles doing what I do as a contractor, fed up with the uncertainty of the IR35 position, fed up with Quickbooks and MTD aka Big Brother is watching you and how much hassle running a Ltd seems to be these days.

Monday mornings are tough, if I'm honest. In another market I wouldn't have done this job but at least the people are friendly and it's not too bad on the cv as in line with what I do, more or less.

We had an awful Escape Room team bonding thing the other week. Everyone else just loved it though. Unfathomable.
                haha I think this will always be the way for contractors that have gone permanent. I'm expecting a fair few 'grin and bear it' moments in my new perm job. If you've got a personality that gravitates towards contracting, as it once did for people like you and I now switching to perm, you always want that independence and look a little differently at the stuff true 'native' perm workers engage with, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

Comment

I'll never be able to go back to that mindset of your employer being your family. But many people view it that way and they appreciate everything their family does for them.

Comment

So I have an offer in the pipeline it seems...

They are just considering "what they want to do regarding IR35"...

To be frank I feel like I am passenger to that and regardless of what they decide and so long as the rate isn't garbage I will take it as its likely to be a good 6 to 12 month engagement at the minimum and then I can review the market after the dust has settled.

Overall will be happy if can I move from my current outside high paying gig into something that isn't perm and sees me though this storm with enough pennies in my pocket to carry on with my current life style. If gig does end up inside as well I can take the free training which will become available from the client as well which will offset the financial loss somewhat. Fingers crossed.
                    Last edited by dx4100; 5 February 2020, 15:03.

Comment

I just can't stomach the whole "team bonding" stuff and falseness of it all . If I ever went perm it would have to be somewhere that would just leave me be. No idea how I get that across at an interview and still land the job

Comment

Working...
                      X