• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

I had eight one hour sudden death interviews for a permie job at a super day once. Not nice and completely unnecessary
    Similar for Cisco - 7 1 hour interviews with various functions...all part of the effort to make you feel like you've earned it and breed that culture/stickyness to the role.

Comment

Originally posted by IsayIsayIsay View Post

Similar for Cisco - 7 1 hour interviews with various functions...all part of the effort to make you feel like you've earned it and breed that culture/stickyness to the role.
      They still made me come back another day and meet the MD - who then decided to get another team member to interview me as well afterwards!

Comment

From what I have heard from ex-colleagues Amazon is not the place to go if you value work life balance.
        It gets a lot worse around Black Friday and Christmas too.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

It gets a lot worse around Black Friday and Christmas too.
          It's probably tulip all year round. When they have 10% PIP targets and you see people left and right getting pip-ed for no apparent reason. It starts to get to you.
          You can't built a collaborative environment where people act in the best interest of the team when people act out of fear.

Anyway, if you are finding difficult recruiters that boss you around and try to put you in your place and act as usual ***** that they are - I send them a data erasure request that is quite elaborate.
          If they are difficult then I am going to be difficult as well and waste their time with catching up with compliance and reading about the subject.

this is the template I use:

https://www.datarequests.org/blog/sa...asure-request/

they should have no reason to keep your details anyway. don't think that they would look through your profile further down the line. they ignore 95% of applications they get from job portals anyway.

Stand strong people, be equally difficult as them and let's push this market up!

Click image for larger version

Name:	DjuTEyJUcAECTtR?format=jpg&name=medium.jpg
Views:	595
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	4205190

Comment

From what I have heard from ex-colleagues Amazon is not the place to go if you value work life balance.
            The 'big name' companies have pulled one hell of a trick convincing people that just being there is worth all of the hours and aggro - as opposed to things like money, a quiet life, good mental health.

Of course us contractors generally know better, but there are always a few of our own willing to throw us under the bus
            ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

The brain washing at Cisco was impressive. Yes the rewards were high, yes the culture talked about "bring yourself to work", "be your best self", "wear pink and die your hair orange", but the underlying toxicity was immense. 10% lowest performance every year. Once I was given 10 mins to decide on the order of a team I'd been looking after for 3 weeks, then I was put on "the list" myself. It was at that point I vowed never to be in that position again.... and still they get the best employer awards.... and hire employment psychologists to make sure the masses are "happy"... madness.

Comment

Had a first in my contracting career today. Have set out my stall for a rate increase based on adding value to the client, the consultancy, plus the wider macroeconomic factors at play. So pretty standard fare.

Client has offered a new rate. It's actually less than I am on now.

I had to politely remind the client about my current rate.

They are considering a counter. Quite amusing!

Comment

Originally posted by BigLadFromBeeston666 View Post
                  Had a first in my contracting career today. Have set out my stall for a rate increase based on adding value to the client, the consultancy, plus the wider macroeconomic factors at play. So pretty standard fare.

I've seen that plenty of times. Procurement decide that given that all "cost of sale" costs were covered in the previous deal it's time to try to get a discount.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Lots of inside + wanting SC this week. Oh well keep looking.

qh

He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by BigLadFromBeeston666 View Post

the mistake was asking them in the first place and 'reminding' them what the current rate is.

You should have told them what your new rate is, you can mentions briefly a few reasons if you'f like, and that you will not show up on site after contract lapses without a new agreement(if you show up without an extension the previous terms precede in legal terms)

Everyone is lining their pockets, why shouldn't you? Apart from 15% inflation that we've have(in more real terms), and NI contributions increase from april they have the audacity to ask for a rate cut.

HR knows that you are starting from a position of comfort and the potential discomfort to move might be offset with a small rate cut.
                      Which is the point that we should fight back on. There are plenty of contracts on the market, you just have to pop your head out.
                      If the market was the other way around, they wouldn't have thought twice about pushing a big rate cut.

Let them get a new contractor from the market, pay 20% at least more, wait 3m for the resource to get up to speed and also take the risk of it being a lemon.

That's business, nobody will look down upon you for driving a hard negotiation, that is wagie mentality. They'll actually respect you more.

Comment

Working...
                      X