• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
    Contract end coming up in Sept. Rates still look challenging.

Thought the economy was driving on all cylinders. What gives? Summer lull?
    It might be a false start but jobswerve hit 26k jobs today, the first time it's hit that level since the pandemic started and its only 3k off the average I used to see. It has been buried at 14k since May. It was buried sub 3k for much of the pandemic, a whole year.

I think its due (personal opinion) to the furlough end date being in sight. I still think an awful lot of pimps were/are using it and their forced return is driving activity because, they are caining their contact books to get money lined up for October.
    Last edited by Bluenose; 3 August 2021, 12:59.

Comment

I've been told about 2 interviews now that have ultimately failed to materialise.

Is this a new tactic by pimps or something? It's not something I've ever experienced before.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluenose View Post

It might be a false start but jobswerve hit 26k jobs today, the first time it's hit that level since the pandemic started and its only 3k off the average I used to see. It has been buried at 14k since May.
        Were you referring to the headline number on the front page of Jobserve. Its currently at almost 38,000... And its the middle of August?

Comment

Originally posted by Robinho View Post
          I've been told about 2 interviews now that have ultimately failed to materialise.

Is this a new tactic by pimps or something? It's not something I've ever experienced before.
          No, that's been going since time began. You've just been lucky that's all.

Like contracts are only real when your bum is on the seat, an interview is only real when you have a date/time and all parties turn up.

Comment

I think the pimps work a little like airlines, overbook, knowing some candidates are going to pull out last minute or be a no show. If the client says to the agent, please send 3 for interview and only 1 shows up, agent is likely to be dropped in future. Better to book 5 candidates and then ghost 2 at the last minute.

That's my take on it anyway.
            First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              Like contracts are only real when your bum is on the seat, an interview is only real when you have a date/time and all parties turn up.
              Agreed

I think the pimps work a little like airlines, overbook, knowing some candidates are going to pull out last minute or be a no show. If the client says to the agent, please send 3 for interview and only 1 shows up, agent is likely to be dropped in future. Better to book 5 candidates and then ghost 2 at the last minute.

That's my take on it anyway.
              Or maybe they have preferential candidates and a few backups if they aren't so good (i have no delusions of grandeur)

Anyway, market is looking good regardless.

Comment

Pimp friend says there are opportunities about in certain areas but no one to fill them as people are reluctant to move on from current roles as work life balance at the moment is great for them.
                Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Agreed

Or maybe they have preferential candidates and a few backups if they aren't so good (i have no delusions of grandeur)

Anyway, market is looking good regardless.
                  it is annoying but probably not worth overanalysing. The problem is agents seem to be hardwired not to tell people they or the end client are not interested in them anymore to the point it is ridiculous that they go to the time and effort of avoiding you rather then send out a one line e-mail.

I suspect a lot of the time it is the role being pulled or the end client finding someone else.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
                    Pimp friend says there are opportunities about in certain areas but no one to fill them as people are reluctant to move on from current roles as work life balance at the moment is great for them.
                    Did he mention in what market the demand was in, I'd be interested to know?

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post

it is annoying but probably not worth overanalysing. The problem is agents seem to be hardwired not to tell people they or the end client are not interested in them anymore to the point it is ridiculous that they go to the time and effort of avoiding you rather then send out a one line e-mail.

I suspect a lot of the time it is the role being pulled or the end client finding someone else.

Until an interview date and time is confirmed you always assume you are not in the running. Regardless of what the agent is saying.

It is only if the interview is cancelled that you expect to be contacted.
                      Last edited by Fraidycat; 16 August 2021, 11:29.

Comment

Working...
                      X