• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
    The IR35 changes have not solved the main problem of why contractors exist - scarcity of resource. To get the top/required talent it's still a seller market espeically if the economey continues to recover at the pace it does. Quietly hopeful the boom times are just around the corner.
    I know we have our optimism and fantasy and I think you've slightly slipped in to the latter there. There is still a good living to made from contracting but there are no boom times ahead IMO. The market has been extremely saturated for many years now with a lot more people coming contracting than roles available as they filter off shore. I've got less than a decade left but I am preparing for the next one to be a lot more challenging that the last 10 years. Inside gigs, scarcity of roles, constant move to offshore. The decent ones will still make a good living, the not so good get by but I can't see how there can be a boom in any area of IT in the UK anymore.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Well, well looks like the gig is finally up. No renewal after September. Going to have a sniff around in July time and see what's what. Market looks buoyant enough although a scarcity of Outside roles is apparent.

Comment

Originally posted by BigLadFromBeeston666 View Post
        Well, well looks like the gig is finally up. No renewal after September. Going to have a sniff around in July time and see what's what. Market looks buoyant enough although a scarcity of Outside roles is apparent.
        That's a decent amount of notice that you can plan for, that's a bit of a rarity.

Comment

If you can get an outside gig then i see good times ahead. well sort of.

Record high rates in nominal terms, but not adjusting for inflation.
          eg. I have just been renewed for a personal best all time high rate , that is in nominal terms,
          but adjusting for inflation its well down on what i have got in the past

Comment

Recently picked up a fully remote "Outside" contract on a good day rate.

Still get calls from agents from time to time - mixture of Outside and Inside. The rates on the Inside roles, whilst still not high enough to beat my usual Outside rate, are starting rise. Presumably as clients realise they need to raise them to attract decent contractors.

Encouraging that more clients also seem to be making an effort to deem roles as Outside.

I did however receive an email today from a pimp offering an Inside role at Canary Wharf for £350pd (C# def). I nearly fell off my seat laughing
            Do what thou wilt

Comment

https://www.contractoruk.com/news/00...mpaign=ConNews

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
                Recently picked up a fully remote "Outside" contract on a good day rate.

Still get calls from agents from time to time - mixture of Outside and Inside. The rates on the Inside roles, whilst still not high enough to beat my usual Outside rate, are starting rise. Presumably as clients realise they need to raise them to attract decent contractors.

Encouraging that more clients also seem to be making an effort to deem roles as Outside.

I did however receive an email today from a pimp offering an Inside role at Canary Wharf for £350pd (C# def). I nearly fell off my seat laughing
                It's not 1st April yet is it?! It probably says more about the commoditisation of the C# skillset than anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by ShandyDrinker View Post

It's not 1st April yet is it?! It probably says more about the commoditisation of the C# skillset than anything else.
                  for a graduate that's good money.
                  For a 21 year old with 2 years experience that's good money.
                  I imagine the client knows what to expect for a rate like that. They're not that dumb.
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

As I was saying

Just wish I had as much luck with the lotto numbers!!
                    Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

I know we have our optimism and fantasy and I think you've slightly slipped in to the latter there. There is still a good living to made from contracting but there are no boom times ahead IMO. The market has been extremely saturated for many years now with a lot more people coming contracting than roles available as they filter off shore. I've got less than a decade left but I am preparing for the next one to be a lot more challenging that the last 10 years. Inside gigs, scarcity of roles, constant move to offshore. The decent ones will still make a good living, the not so good get by but I can't see how there can be a boom in any area of IT in the UK anymore.
                      Given that IT Project Manager, Business Analyst and IT Consultant are categorised as occupations in short supply and eligible for a Skilled Worker Visa, surely it's going to be boom times all round?

Comment

Working...
                      X