• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bluenose View Post

LOL.

The market is always at its lowest before the bounce but thats nuts.
    Were not in a normal economic crisis, so we don't know how long the bottom will last. Were now supposedly coming out of the pandemic slowly and personally I'm not seeing or hearing much different in terms of vacancies or salaries. The bounce back is painfully slow and stagnation owing to economic scarring is a real risk.

£98pd may sound crazy but in the current market its perfectly normal, and there's no indication that it will change anytime soon. Economy is heavily tied to Covid and governments still need to figure out variants and booster shots in order to navigate a tricky winter.
    Last edited by sira; 20 May 2021, 07:51.

Comment

The market seems to be picking up. The client I'm with is struggling to find good BA's, and a friend of mine messaged me the other day to say the company they're at is hiring all sorts from tech to PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        The market seems to be picking up. The client I'm with is struggling to find good BA's, and a friend of mine messaged me the other day to say the company they're at is hiring all sorts from tech to PM.
        There will always be pockets of activity depending on the sub-sector, but at a macro level the job market still isn't good. It's not really vacancies that matter, salary levels are more important.

You can have a million vacancies paying a contractor £98pd but its almost pointless as he/she can earn the same, or more doing minimum paid work.

Comment

Getting a bit of "interest" from LI, however the quotes is for:

Pimp / In house Recruiter: Hi, your profile looks a good fit a contract role we have? Are you interested/available?
          Me: okay, sound interesting is it Outside IR35?

Pimp / In house Recruiter:

It's like, well you came to me, at least follow up on your own interest. A few days later I will check their profile and see they are online, but still no response. Very strange.

qh
          He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by sira View Post

There will always be pockets of activity depending on the sub-sector, but at a macro level the job market still isn't good. It's not really vacancies that matter, salary levels are more important.

You can have a million vacancies paying a contractor £98pd but its almost pointless as he/she can earn the same, or more doing minimum paid work.
            Salary is what I choose to pay myself. What my company can charge for me is entirely separate. It sounds like you're taking all revenue and converting it to income so are unable to separate the two.

Current client rates are pretty good, and outside. I don't know the rates where my friend works nor the IR35 determination.

Comment

Originally posted by hungry_hog View Post
              haha. KS2. Do me a lemon.
              Last time I was tutoring it was thermodynamics for first year undergrad - Natural Sciences Tripos. 30 a hour - as a PhD student
              I couldn't believe it either. £25ph for KS2? I am in the wrong line of work. I need to retrain myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Destiny2 View Post

I couldn't believe it either. £25ph for KS2? I am in the wrong line of work. I need to retrain myself.
                I thought £25 was quite reasonable for a retired teacher.
                I wouldn't pay £5 for a failed programmer.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

I thought £25 was quite reasonable for a retired teacher.
                  I wouldn't pay £5 for a failed programmer.
                  I thought all the failed programmers become managers/scrum masters/PMs and get twice the usual programmer rate... looking for fairness where there isn't any.

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post

I thought all the failed programmers become managers/scrum masters/PMs and get twice the usual programmer rate... looking for fairness where there isn't any.
                    They do normally. Or heads of IT...

But the recent posts in this thread suggests a change of direction for said failures.
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post

In my experience, failed programmers end up on the bench and blame the world/conspiracy theories for that failure.

Comment

Working...
                      X