• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • FREE workshop: Preparing contractors for Autumn : Weds 29th Sep at 7.15pm. More details here.

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Those that can, do, and those that can't, manage.

    Comment


      Array
      Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      Those that can, do, and those that can't, manage.

      Best way to get promoted. Be bad at what you do and a pain in the arse to manage.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

      Comment


        Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        Those that can, do, and those that can't, manage.

        Those that 'manage' get day rates of £800-1000+ so I'll live with not being able to 'do.'

        The market for Heads of IT/IT Directors etc is usually a market in its own right. Over the last 4-6 weeks it has become red hot. I've got 9 or 10 opportunities on the go at the moment, 4 of which are Director or Head Of level. The one common theme is they are all moving slowly, but it bodes well for all you doers who will have something to do in a few months when us managers start, er, managing...
        Last edited by edison; 21 May 2021, 12:27.

        Comment


          Originally posted by edison View Post

          Those that 'manage' get day rates of £800-1000+ so I'll live with not being able to 'do.'

          The market for Heads of IT/IT Directors etc is usually a market in its own right. Over the last 4-6 weeks it has become red hot. I've got 9 or 10 opportunities on the go at the moment, 4 of which are Director or Head Of level. The one common theme is they are all moving slowly, but it bodes well for all you doers who will have something to do in a few months when us managers start, er, managing...
          Satisfaction comes in different forms, sometimes a good balance of seeing an good engineering solution come out of your hands, learning interesting technologies, working with good people can be better than grudgingly chasing people with a stick all day long.
          Also as a manager you can easily be shown the door, probably takes a bad meeting or a missed piece of information. Or just corporate politics.

          Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

          In my experience, failed programmers end up on the bench and blame the world/conspiracy theories for that failure.
          Mate, you are wasting your time, if you look at my posts you'd find that I say the same about myself.
          But if you think that there are no things happening in the background you are a different type of naive...

          Comment


            Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            Those that can, do, and those that can't, manage.

            Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post

            Satisfaction comes in different forms, sometimes a good balance of seeing an good engineering solution come out of your hands, learning interesting technologies, working with good people can be better than grudgingly chasing people with a stick all day long.
            Also as a manager you can easily be shown the door, probably takes a bad meeting or a missed piece of information. Or just corporate politics.

            True, satisfaction comes in different forms. The last thing I'd do as a manager though is beat people with a stick or threaten to. I get most of my satisfaction at work through helping people and coaching and developing my team. Most good managers I know do the complete opposite of using a stick and in an increasingly remote working world, threats and coercion are less likely to succeed.

            If you're leading the IT function (or any function) then you're unlikely to be fired just like that for a bad meeting or some missing info. It would need gross negligence and it happens rarely in the real world.

            Comment


              Originally posted by edison View Post

              Those that 'manage' get day rates of £800-1000+ so I'll live with not being able to 'do.'

              The market for Heads of IT/IT Directors etc is usually a market in its own right. Over the last 4-6 weeks it has become red hot. I've got 9 or 10 opportunities on the go at the moment, 4 of which are Director or Head Of level. The one common theme is they are all moving slowly, but it bodes well for all you doers who will have something to do in a few months when us managers start, er, managing...
              I can't manage my way out of a wet paper bag and like hiding in my dark cupboard away from all that crud which managers have to deal with.

              Comment


                Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

                I can't manage my way out of a wet paper bag and like hiding in my dark cupboard away from all that crud which managers have to deal with.
                Takes a bit of time to learn that being a contractor is about proving value. That might sound like a cliche but I truly believe that is what it is all about.

                everyone around here that has been through failure, difficult projects, tight deadlines, disgruntled clients. And that is fine, that is where experience lies, how you react to them. Every situation in itself is a lesson. When you are a permi, you can just shut yourself off, and ignore everything, but as a contractor you have to know what you have to brinng to the table otherwise you are out before the weekend. And a lot of times that is the best motivator.

                The more people stand for themselves the more people will acknowledge the value this odd type of people have to bring. Most of hiring managers only understand control, and pretty much everythinf about hiring a resource is about that, to my disgust. Can’t blame them, everyone wants an easy life and minions running around them.

                so let’s all do our part, whether we are in a contract or not, we want outside contracts, decent rates and better terms.

                the nonsense played last time about “only the good people get outside” is pointless, I think we’ve all learned by now that the success of it lies in the numbers, not in the quality of few odd people out there. Market would have been stronger with permtractors at lower rates and true contractors and decent rates and all outside.

                Climbing corporate ladder is a mith anyway… let’s not forget that
                Last edited by GigiBronz; 23 May 2021, 11:41.

                Comment


                  Originally posted by edison View Post

                  Those that 'manage' get day rates of £800-1000+ so I'll live with not being able to 'do.'

                  The market for Heads of IT/IT Directors etc is usually a market in its own right. Over the last 4-6 weeks it has become red hot. I've got 9 or 10 opportunities on the go at the moment, 4 of which are Director or Head Of level. The one common theme is they are all moving slowly, but it bodes well for all you doers who will have something to do in a few months when us managers start, er, managing...
                  Its a troll post but i will point out to lesser experienced readers of this post that said wide-boys have been eating dry porridge, water and driving ubers for almost two years waiting for the market to turn.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                    Those that can, do, and those that can't, manage. Those that can't manage, get a senior job in the public sector.

                    FTFY
                    I design idiot proof software. Trouble is, they keep making better idiots.

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post

                      Takes a bit of time to learn that being a contractor is about proving value. That might sound like a cliche but I truly believe that is what it is all about.

                      everyone around here that has been through failure, difficult projects, tight deadlines, disgruntled clients. And that is fine, that is where experience lies, how you react to them. Every situation in itself is a lesson. When you are a permi, you can just shut yourself off, and ignore everything, but as a contractor you have to know what you have to brinng to the table otherwise you are out before the weekend. And a lot of times that is the best motivator.

                      The more people stand for themselves the more people will acknowledge the value this odd type of people have to bring. Most of hiring managers only understand control, and pretty much everythinf about hiring a resource is about that, to my disgust. Can’t blame them, everyone wants an easy life and minions running around them.

                      so let’s all do our part, whether we are in a contract or not, we want outside contracts, decent rates and better terms.

                      the nonsense played last time about “only the good people get outside” is pointless, I think we’ve all learned by now that the success of it lies in the numbers, not in the quality of few odd people out there. Market would have been stronger with permtractors at lower rates and true contractors and decent rates and all outside.

                      Climbing corporate ladder is a mith anyway… let’s not forget that
                      Which shows how little you understand about IR35.

                      The issue is that the requirements that ensure you safely outside IR35 are the very opposite of what a highly skilled specialist offers.
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X