• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Destiny2 View Post
    Desktop Support Engineer

£98p/d - Inside IR35

If I were an agent reading this thread, I'd be posting the most ludicrous job on the boards to see if someone might post it here.

Comment

To be honest most people on here will have a decent level of education
      If this is the case you can tutor GCSE / A level and get 50ph+. Some tutors are charging 100ph+
      This is a much better bet than contracting at 200pd

If you don't want to tutor school subjects: Python, Excel, R etc could be taught instead.

Comment

BOOMED! Well, until things go wrong.

6 month Inside gig - decent enough day rate as fully remote. Gives some commercial experience of newer tech too.. income whilst waiting for the market to adjust too. Tbh, can live off this level of income so if end up closing Ltd will be fine.

The agent seems a bit perturbed that I ticked the "Opt In" box rather than "Opt Out". Said he'd have to speak to his manager...

Comment

Originally posted by perplexed View Post
          BOOMED! Well, until things go wrong.

6 month Inside gig - decent enough day rate as fully remote. Gives some commercial experience of newer tech too.. income whilst waiting for the market to adjust too. Tbh, can live off this level of income so if end up closing Ltd will be fine.

The agent seems a bit perturbed that I ticked the "Opt In" box rather than "Opt Out". Said he'd have to speak to his manager...
          I'm surprised they gave you a contract - most agencies insist on the opt out form before sending the contract paperwork.

But then again 90% of the issues in this industry are from agencies not knowing wtf they should be doing and going for the easiest life / fastest buck.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by hungry_hog View Post
            If this is the case you can tutor GCSE / A level and get 50ph+. Some tutors are charging 100ph+

If you don't want to tutor school subjects: Python, Excel, R etc could be taught instead.
            I would be more concerned with bumbling parents forking out 50-100 quid to someone to teach GCSE/A-level. I never needed any tutoring but still had decent grades.

Comment

I would be more concerned with bumbling parents forking out 50-100 quid to someone to teach GCSE/A-level. I never needed any tutoring but still had decent grades.
              Depends how crap the teachers at school are.

I've just finished paying the ex-head of Maths at the best school in the area to tutor twin A - because the school's teachers were crap.

merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I can't think why you need to pay £50-100ph for a tutor. I've used an excellent maths tutor at £30ph who managed to get my 11 year old to pass GCSE maths at grade 7. And my daughter is being tutored by a secondary school Head of English for about £35ph and she's managed to improve her by 2-3 grades in one term.

When I've looked at online sites listing large numbers of tutors, the typical cost was £30-40ph (outside London at least).

Comment

I'm well educated.
                  I can't teach for toffee. I don't have the patience.

The tutor we have for our daughter (KS2) is £25 an hour and brilliant.
                  I would be very reluctant (read NEVER) to pay some failed IT chancer an hourly rate, so I think your suggestion is somewhat flawed.
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

haha. KS2. Do me a lemon.
                    Last time I was tutoring it was thermodynamics for first year undergrad - Natural Sciences Tripos. 30 a hour - as a PhD student

Comment

Desktop Support Engineer

£98p/d - Inside IR35

LOL.

The market is always at its lowest before the bounce but thats nuts.

Comment

Working...
                      X